Ahoy!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Onsen

Ahoy!

Post by Onsen »

I'm Onsen. Originally I intended to be 0nsen, but apparently it proved too difficult to send the activation mail to my real email-address. Informing an administrator proved difficult, because you need an account to see any kind of info on those. After trying since around the beginning of this year, I finally went over to mailinator and got it over with. So here I am.

My first experience with computers was way back in the 1990s. DOS, NC and GAMES. That was all I cared for (concerning computers) in grade school. I never liked windows, because all it did was crashing on me. Win98 should be the last I ever saw of it. Still, all I cared for was games and the internet wasn't really something I knew about back then. Not until 2005 and my first experience with DSL (Digital subscriber line). I broadened my horizon,... with browser and flash games. But soon I stopped caring for games and let's just skip ahead,...

...I don't like the direction most of the stuff I came to like is heading. It started in 2008, with Amarok2.0. And soon the wind changed completely. Gnome3, Unity, KDE4,... apparently developers get bored of software that works, break it, just to make it work again. I replaced Amarok with Clementine and Ubuntu10.04 with Mint 13. Now I'm here.

Hello, everyone o/

--------------- 26-09-2012 ---------------------------

My computer: Zbox
  • AMD E Series Dual Core E 350 Processor 1.6GHz
  • AMD Radeon HD 6310
  • 1TB HDD
  • 8GB RAM (2 204-pin DDR3-1066 SO-DIMM)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Ahoy!

Post by The-Wizard »

well you made it :lol:

Welcome to the Mint family forums
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Hi Onsen!

Welcome to the Mint Forums, and to Linux Mint!

If you get tired of the ever-present drive to fancier, more complicated desktop environments (DEs), then try Xfce. Mint has a great implementation of that (it's what I use), and it is simple, clean, straight-forward, and easy to customize. Even though MATE and Cinnamon are the predominant DEs for Mint, you can find a lot of information on setting up and using Xfce in the Forums, and quite a few of us use Xfce as our DE.

Great to have you here!

Caerolle :)
jesica

Post by jesica »

welcome to the forum :mrgreen:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi Onsen, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums! A longer travel, but indeed you made it here safely.

Be sure also to check out the Community website (tutorials, hardware and software reviews, ideas), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding even more themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon (if you have picked the Cinnamon edition of Linux Mint :wink:).

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”