Random System Freezes on Relatively New Install

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mephisto

Re: Random System Freezes on Relatively New Install

Post by mephisto »

@watertavi: is there any (special) reason why you didn't upgrade to 3.5.4 ? I'm new to all this stuff so I hope you don't mind me asking.
If anybody else can answer the question, please go for it ;)
watertavi

Post by watertavi »

mephisto wrote:@watertavi: is there any (special) reason why you didn't upgrade to 3.5.4 ? I'm new to all this stuff so I hope you don't mind me asking.
If anybody else can answer the question, please go for it

Nope, no reason. That's what was available at the time. For me, this is just a temporary thing until Mint 14 comes out in November with an updated (stable) kernel. Just to be clear, I think my problem was with IvyBridge support in 3.2. I think it's a little odd that you had problems with an old AMD 64 bit chip, but what do I know.
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Well, first of all I'm too inexperienced in all of this to argue with you ;)
but from browsing these forums it seems there's quite a lot of people reporting freezing
and they're all using all kinds of different desktops and even hardware setups...
so maybe it isn't so odd my old AMD 64 bit is also involved.
For me the problem started after an upgrade last week, before that it ran fine and stable for several weeks.

Anyway.. so far my 3.4 hasn't crashed/frozen again yet. Thanks for the learning experience ;)
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

To yumi: My hardware is very similar. The Asrock mobo uses a Broadcom lan chip that has a bug. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/994255 . And this bug relates to upgrading the kernel. This is probably a long shot but it indicates all is not 100% with this mobo. I had random system freezes with U.E. 3.4 which uses Unity and Compiz. I switched to Mint 13 KDE and all is well. I really think if you did a fresh install of the KDE version that your system would be as trouble free as mine. I use the Intel HD 4000 graphics as well. I like KDE more than Cinnamon, more features, more options and more eye candy.

Just a side note. I scroll down to view the original post for system specifics and the original post isn't there. Where the snarf did it go?
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Seems that Kernel upgrade fixed it for me. Still going without any freezes.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

To anyone running an Ivy Bridge CPU. There is a bugreport at Launchpad about hard system freezes with older kernels. Many people have cured this with a kernel upgrade. My mobo , ASRock z77 extreme 4, also has a bugreport related to the Broadcom lan chip. Apparently there is a patch for that. I tried to upgrade the kernel before I knew about the second bug. It failed with an error related to that lan chip. Rather than learning how to apply a patch to a kernel upgrade I did a new install of the KDE Mint. It was a good excuse to try another distro and desktop. I'm glad I did. 0 freezes since and I just plain like it better. And for you gamers, you can turn off all effects in KDE while in fullscreen mode making it faster than even the lighter desktops. Check Phoronix for an article and testing.
ekeko

Post by ekeko »

Hi, there was one question lying around:

- how it behaves in MATE? in my case 3 different laptops are working fine with MATE. With Cinnamon they were having issues like freezing, so I changed to MATE and everything ok. Just if someone wants to try it.

- I will try Cinnamon in upcoming Linux Mint 14.
roselan

Post by roselan »

I have this exact problem too. But it's not linked to mint, or linux. It happens on windows 7 and 8 (beta) too.

My hardware is different Q6600 on nvidia chipset (socket 775). Quite not ivy bridge stuff. Over the years, I removed the sound card, plugged it back again, changed the graphic card, the cpu, the OS, etc, and the freezes stay... and go. It seems there are spikes in the frequency of the freezes for some weeks, then they calm down. I remember a time it happened several times a day (like 3 years ago), sometimes as soon as I moved the mouse in windows seven (and then it ran flawlessly for hours), and then I had no freeze in weeks, if not months.

I suspected everyhing. The nvidia chipset first, the sb x-fi extreme sound card second, the 8600gts, then the 8800gtx, the soft raid, the disks, sata, the cables, memory timing, even my beloved seasonic power supply. But the freezes are not linked to anything I can point, even room temperature. This one is a real puzzler. No matter how hard I look, I see no pattern. Neither google or system logs show anything significant.

They did seem to occur less frequently with windows 8 and mint 13 cinnamon, now I'm on 14, and they poked their ugly head back (I had two yesterday evening in 2 hours, but none today in 10 hours), but I strongly doubt it's linked.

Of course my freezes might be caused by something entirely different than other's freezes but the symptoms are the same exactly, down to the repeating, and very annoying, 0.5 sound loop.

Basically, I have learned to live with it. It has become my pet bug, I go get some coffee when it comes. I concluded it's the way my computer shows his love. And today I learn I'm not the only one :D

Return to “Other topics”