samsung galaxy s5 not recognized by linux mint 17 xfce

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
textillis

samsung galaxy s5 not recognized by linux mint 17 xfce

Post by textillis »

Hello,
Anyone else had this hiccup?

Would greatly appreciate the benefit of some help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kurotsugi

Re: samsung galaxy s5 not recognized by linux mint 17 xfce

Post by kurotsugi »

if you mean you can't use mtp in your system it might be a problem from gvfs or libmtp9. it usually happened when the device is new and haven't been registered on the mtp libs or the device vendor have modified something in his mtp implementation. on most cases gvfs work well even with an unregistered device so it might be samsung's fault. nothing you can do except trying to get new gvfs or libmtp9.
textillis

Post by textillis »

kurotsugi wrote:if you mean you can't use mtp in your system it might be a problem from gvfs or libmtp9. it usually happened when the device is new and haven't been registered on the mtp libs or the device vendor have modified something in his mtp implementation. on most cases gvfs work well even with an unregistered device so it might be samsung's fault. nothing you can do except trying to get new gvfs or libmtp9.
I should have stipulated: I am a beginner with Linux as well.
Could you explain what gvfs is and how it is involved in my problem?
Do I need special software to interface with samsung? like someone needs apples software to interface with iphone?

thanks for your response
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Does the problem occur with the samsung usb cable?
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

in that case, nothing you can do about it. mint 17 is based on older version of ubuntu and won't get any update for gvfs and libmtp9. your samsung will probably never work until mint change the base version.
Do I need special software to interface with samsung? like someone needs apples software to interface with iphone?
you already have it and it called gvfs. it's not the first time I saw samsung product didn't work well with gvfs. please don't blame mint for this. samsung always have something wicked on their products.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

kurotsugi wrote:in that case, nothing you can do about it. mint 17 is based on older version of ubuntu and won't get any update for gvfs and libmtp9. your samsung will probably never work until mint change the base version.
you already have it and it called gvfs. it's not the first time I saw samsung product didn't work well with gvfs. please don't blame mint for this. samsung always have something wicked on their products.
Mint 17 is based on a relatively new version of Ubuntu that was released this year, Ubuntu 14.04 and it is likely up to Ubuntu to release updates for gvfs/libmtp9
textillis

Post by textillis »

Problem only apparent.
Thanks for the responses.
I simply had to try a different usb port.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

Mint 17 is based on a relatively new version of Ubuntu that was released this year, Ubuntu 14.04 and it is likely up to Ubuntu to release updates for gvfs/libmtp9
yup...the problem is that, they won't. when an ubuntu got released the repo will be frozen and it will only get security updates.
textillis

Post by textillis »

kurotsugi wrote:
yup...the problem is that, they won't. when an ubuntu got released the repo will be frozen and it will only get security updates.
So, my ass is slung: I can't get full use out of samsung products using Mint 17?
'Preciate the responses guys and gals.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re:

Post by JeremyB »

I am able to connect to the file system on my Samsung Note 2 in LM 17. I am using Android 4.4.2
textillis

Re: Re:

Post by textillis »

JeremyB wrote:I am able to connect to the file system on my Samsung Note 2 in LM 17. I am using Android 4.4.2
I get to the file system, all the icons light up, but on clicking them, they all "read" empty :(
thanks for the response/input
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Plug the phone in to the computer, wait about 30 seconds, open terminal and enter

Code: Select all

dmesg | tail
See if there are any clues

Return to “Other topics”