Compose key timeout

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Amanoo

Compose key timeout

Post by Amanoo »

Hello. I'm a compose key user. But I have a problem, if I hold the altgr button for a bit too long without inputting, my PC will ignore it. Aparently there is some sort of timeout. So quite often I'll just write things like "u instead of ü, just because I took a little too long figuring out where some button was. Is there a way to set this timeout to a different value?

BTW, I'm using Cinnamon, if that's important.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Compose key timeout

Post by kyphi »

It is a matter of technique:
If I want to use the Compose key I press it and let go, then press the symbol and let go, then press the letter to get ä, ö, ü, á, à, ô, ñ, etc. For some symbols and letters you have to switch to upper case which would lead to some rather fanciful fingerwork if you had to hold keys down.

I have set my Compose key to be the Caps Lock key because the latter used to get in my way just once too often.

Perhaps you have confused the results of the Compose key to using unicode where you have to hold down Ctrl+Shift while typing a code to get £, √, °, etc. (u00a3, u221a, ub0)
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Amanoo

Re: Compose key timeout

Post by Amanoo »

No, I didn't confuse those things. Looks like I was using the compose key wrong. Just tapping it is a lot easier. I feel a little dumb now. Well, thanks. Problem solved.

Return to “Other topics”