Wifi, graphic and boot issues after upgrade to mint 17

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrnobody

Wifi, graphic and boot issues after upgrade to mint 17

Post by mrnobody »

I decided to make one topic with all three questions combined in this section of the forum, since all of them occured after upgrading mint to 17. Everything was working fine under 16.

I got a sony vaio SVP laptop from february this year. After upgrading it from mint 16 to 17 the following issues appeared:

- The laptop does not recognise a monitor on boot. It gives a black screen, and I have to press ctrl+alt+del to have it reboot, after which it boots fine.
==> I googled for this problem and every solution I found basically said get proprietary drivers, but I don't have an nvidia card and as far as I could find intel cards run on generic drivers.

- The wifi is extremely unstable and has terrible reception. I did not have this problem in 16, it is new!!
==> I googled for this and it said it was a problem in the linux kernel, and to update the kernel to the latest version. I followed a tutorial to do this for mint, but that caused the following:

- If I run a dual screen setup, resolution gets reset to basic values, although the control panel will still display both resolutions as HD (I use one screen with 1920*1200 and one with 1920*1080), if I boot one only one screen, be it laptop or external, display works okay.

I uninstalled the latest kernel (downloaded latest stable), and installed the latest kernel that was in the mint updater. This did not solve the problem and I still can't run a dual screen setup.

Here is my inxi output:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: harrenhal Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine:   System: Sony (portable) product: SVP1321C5E version: C60CAFUV
           Mobo: Sony model: VAIO Bios: American Megatrends version: R1043V7 date: 11/21/2013
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-4200U CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9178.66 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1200@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.2.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Intel Lynx Point-LP HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2: Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Network:   Card: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 3128.6GB (72.2% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_MZHPU128 size: 128.0GB 
           2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: My_Book_1140 size: 3000.6GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 50G used: 33G (70%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 4.44GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 44.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 171 Uptime: 37 min Memory: 1367.1/7892.4MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Wifi, graphic and boot issues after upgrade to mint 17

Post by JeremyB »

A couple things to try on the wifi

sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off
to disable power management

echo "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=8" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
to enable aggresive tx
Then

sudo modprobe -r iwlwifi

sudo modprobe iwlwifi
that should reload the driver to see if the changes help

Your video drivers are open source from intel. There may be newer ones available but you would need to add the intel repos to software sources

echo "deb https://download.01.org/gfx/ubuntu/14.04/main trusty main #Intel Graphics drivers" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/intellinuxgraphics.list

wget --no-check-certificate https://download.01.org/gfx/RPM-GPG-KEY-ilg -O - | sudo apt-key add -

wget --no-check-certificate https://download.01.org/gfx/RPM-GPG-KEY-ilg-2 -O - | sudo apt-key add -
And the mint update manager should have the drivers after

sudo apt-get update
There is a chance that they might be worse than the ones you have now
mrnobody

Post by mrnobody »

Thank you! I tried the wifi commands and I will test it and let you know.

Is there a way for me to uinstall the intel opensource drivers and get back to the linux generic ones?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

mrnobody wrote:Thank you! I tried the wifi commands and I will test it and let you know.

Is there a way for me to uinstall the intel opensource drivers and get back to the linux generic ones?
I would bet uninstalling the Intel drivers would be a disaster
mrnobody

Post by mrnobody »

I didn't install the intel driver until early last week, and everything worked fine before that.

Also, I changed the wifi settings to your suggestions and it has become even worse, not only does it drop on a regular basis now, it doesn't even reconnect :(
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

mrnobody wrote:I didn't install the intel driver until early last week, and everything worked fine before that.

Also, I changed the wifi settings to your suggestions and it has become even worse, not only does it drop on a regular basis now, it doesn't even reconnect :(

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
Running this diagnostic aide should get some info on the wireless, it will create a wireless-info file that I want you to attach to a post
mrnobody

Post by mrnobody »

You can find the output at http://pastebin.com/DN2SX92U

thank you for all the help xD
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

mrnobody wrote:You can find the output at http://pastebin.com/DN2SX92U

thank you for all the help xD
Can you reboot and run the script again, will only need

./wireless_script
since you already have it downloaded.
The reboot might even help with the added parameter for wifi, I have a laptop that has fits with the modprobe of iwlwifi

Do you have a backup of your system...clonezilla iso? I may have a way to get you back to the original Intel Video drivers from the install of LM17, I have done the procedure on one of my pc's without problem but you never know
mrnobody

Post by mrnobody »

http://pastebin.com/C1TMQ2Pk

this is the output of your command only.

I do not have a backup from my current setup, I made a dd backup BEFORE I installed mint, with the factory state of the machine. I also backed up all my files and program settings just yesterday, so if things go wrong I have no problem just calling it a day and doing a fresh install.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Download this http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Dri ... 24.8.0.tgz
Double click and extract it to your home folder
Then

sudo cp iwlwifi-*.ucode /lib/firmware
Reboot and

lshw -c Network
It seems you could have an older version of the firmware for your wifi

For the video, go to Software Sources program and find the repository listings for 01.org and disable all that you find. Exit program and then use Synaptic Package Manager, search for xf intel and it should find xf86-video-intel, click on the name, then in click on package, force version- here you should be able to force a version from trusty or trusty-updates, select trusty updates if available and then see if the same can be done with mesa and vaapi-intel-driver
reboot
mrnobody

Post by mrnobody »

output of the wifi command: http://pastebin.com/xuCjpcW5

seems pretty unstable still, but let's try the video now xD

//edit: Synaptic doesn't find anything even remotely close to xf86-video-intel
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

See if xserver-xorg-video-intel has any results
mrnobody

Post by mrnobody »

Found it, installed it, did the same for mesa and vaapi, problem still exists. Wifi problems also still exist. I think I'm going to throw in the towel and make it a fresh install...
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I hope a fresh install fixes the wifi issues
I have 2 different 7260 cards and they work good for me

Return to “Other topics”