base-files package update overwriting /etc/issue

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
airscorp

base-files package update overwriting /etc/issue

Post by airscorp »

Today I was offered an update of the base-files package from the lucid-update repository.
During updating, I was asked whether or not to overwrite a couple of files:
/etc/issue
/etc/issue.net
which would have removed the Linux Mint branding on those files and instead reset them with Ubuntu specific ones.
Of course, I never overwritten them and all is fine.

Now I know that installing Level > 3 updates clearly states "I'm advanced enough to opt-in for this and accept any side-effects" and I'm quite happy with this but I still wonder:

Wouldn't it be nice if the Linux Mint repositories offered their own package with the correct branding, or Mint triggering a post-install script to take care of it?
Or perhaps such a thing is already in place and didn't stumped on it because I was careful enough?

I'd hate to see my (ssh) login stating that it's an Ubuntu install instead of a Mint one :)

Thanks for considering,
Nick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
neilwightman

Re: base-files package update overwriting /etc/issue

Post by neilwightman »

I have the same problem.

These files appear to have changed:

Code: Select all

/etc/lsb-release
/etc/issue  
/etc/issue.dpkg-dist  
/etc/issue.net  
/etc/issue.net.dpkg-dist
Can someone tell me what they should really contain and could having the wrong values break anything?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Try a reboot. It might put the lsb-release back to what it was

I couldn't find the files with dpkg on 2 laptops I searched
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Default and safe Debian-based distros behaviour is to not replace custom conf files as a default answer. If you manually choose to overwrite them however, be prepared to have the config of your updated packages to revert to their default basic state (usually the "do-nothing or run with a generic setup until properly configured" state).
neilwightman

Post by neilwightman »

Can someone copy and paste the contents of the following files, if they exist on your Mint 17 installation

/etc/lsb-release
/etc/issue 
/etc/issue.net
I know that the ubunut 14.04.1 base-files update broke this. I accepted the new files as I knew I hadnt changed them. I didnt realise that they were not the mint version of these files.
dpkg --listfiles base-files | grep issue
only shows

/etc/issue
/etc/issue.net
I have no idea where the dpkg-dist files come from.

$ dpkg -S /etc/issue.dpkg-dist 
dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /etc/issue.dpkg-dist
same for issue.net.dpkg-dist

Return to “Other topics”