Copying large/many files hangs the system

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RacerBG

Copying large/many files hangs the system

Post by RacerBG »

For some reason when I copy too large or too many files at once the system just hangs and I must stop the process. This happens already in Mint 13/14/15/16 and I can't keep my eyes closed anymore. I don't know from what depends this but I hope that in Mint 17 this finally will be resolved.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eanfrid

Re: Copying large/many files hangs the system

Post by eanfrid »

What does "top" say during this time ? Are the system load peek/average ok, is the i/o wait percentage correct ? If not, your disk(s) throughput is too low (or one them is not working correctly) and buffers/cache are filled with queued i/o operations waiting to be executed.

You can also try to change the disk i/o scheduler - for example - from "cfq" to "deadline".
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

For some reason when I copy too large or too many files at once the system just hangs and I must stop the process.

How large? How many? How are you copying? File browser, cp, dd, ...?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Flemur wrote:For some reason when I copy too large or too many files at once the system just hangs and I must stop the process.

How large? How many? How are you copying? File browser, cp, dd, ...?
2 GB + in size and 1 000 + in amount. I'm using simple copy/paste procedure at the file manager.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I'm using simple copy/paste procedure at the file manager.

Try 'cp' from a terminal.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

AFAIK there's a bug in nemo related to this issue. I don't know whether if it already solved or not.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

kurotsugi wrote:AFAIK there's a bug in nemo related to this issue. I don't know whether if it already solved or not.
Looks like not. :|
Try 'cp' from a terminal.
When I have a GUI I'm avoiding it's use (the terminal).
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Troubleshooting needs trying multiple ways to do the same thing. Per se, "Copying large/many files hangs the system" does not mean anything worth to diagnose.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

If you're so inclined, you might want to consider installing a decent 2 pane file manager. XFE is cross desktop compatible. Krusader is kde. I've been using Krusader for years with little or no problems. I routinely move +4G files around in Mint LTS MATE (Krusader) with no problems. I suspect you would get the same type of results with XFE.

-DataMan
farque

Fix?

Post by farque »

I was stuck on "preparing to move xxx files"
I have had this problem on linux mint 16 for a year now. I upgraded to mint 17 but no joy. it is very frustrating having to ctrl-alt-backspace every so often because it virtually stops while trying to move some files! :roll:

Today I accidentally read somewhere that gvfsd-metadata might be a culprit.

I logged in and out, then opened terminal and ran
pkill gvfsd-metadata

Right now it's virtually instantaneous to move files and doesn't hang. 8)

Don't ask me what the permanent solution is though but it's better than ctrl-alt-backspace.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

RacerBG, your avatar image is 1065 x 961 pixels and > 600K; how about shrinking it down?
A 111x100 pixel png version is only 12K; a gif is 6K.

Return to “Other topics”