Telnet and ftp services

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mariom

Telnet and ftp services

Post by Mariom »

Hello,
I like to connect to my others computers running linux my laptop with Debian 8 and my windows machine but I can not find were to activate this services.
Could you guys point me to the right direccion as of I need to be able to do it so I can transfer files or connect remotely .
Thank you very much.
Mario
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
igor83

Re: Telnet and ftp services

Post by igor83 »

Mariom wrote:Hello,
I like to connect to my others computers running linux my laptop with Debian 8 and my windows machine but I can not find were to activate this services.
Could you guys point me to the right direccion as of I need to be able to do it so I can transfer files or connect remotely .
Thank you very much.
Mario
To FTP, you can download FileZilla from the Software Manager. I believe there is also a FileZilla server, but I'm not sure.
I am not sure how to telnet, but Linux has to have a way. I haven't used telnet on Windows or Linux in ages. Have you looked in Software Manager or Googled at all?
The nature of your questions leads me to believe that you are not very familiar with Linux. If you are using Debian 8, then may I ask why you are asking the question in a Linux Mint forum?

It is possible to remote-desktop (RDP) in Linux to a Windows device. I personally use logmein.com in conjunction with firefox, but you need to allow an exception for *.logmein.com for the pop-up blocker, and you need to have Flash installed. There are also RDP apps available in Software Manager, but I'm not very familiar with them. Logmein is easy. I have been able to connect remotely to computers using nothing other than my Chromebook and Chrome.
GreyGeek

Post by GreyGeek »

Both ftp and telnet are installed by default. You can test their presence on your installation by opening a terminal and issuing
man ftp
or
man telnet

In both instances you should be able to see their man pages. Or, you can open Synaptic and check. You will find both are marked by green boxes, indicating that they are installed.

If you use these services be sure that you have a firewall on your router (wireless or otherwise) and that those services are blocked on that firewall. This should prevent people from outside your LAN from gaining access using these very vulnerable services. Used on your 192.168.*.* subnet you should encounter no problems or risks. If you can''t use these services locally, even though they are installed, it may be because the firewall on your PC, as apposed to your router, has them blocked, and you can unblock them. As recommended, Filezilla is an excellent FTP gui. I don't know of any gui for telnet.

IF you decide to use ftp or telnet outside your LAN then I'd recommend using ftp-ssl and telnet-ssl instead, to avoid the man-in-the-middle attack.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Both ftp and telnet are insecure.
Mariom

Post by Mariom »

Thank you for the answers, I understand the risk of running those services but i am going to use them within my private network or home network wichever term is appropiate.
I f I type telnet Ip address from and to my Mint box I get connection refuse message that's what I asked were is that you go into the start those services even if I used and ftp app i can not connect.
And yes they are installed.
Thanks
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Mariom wrote:Thank you for the answers, I understand the risk of running those services but i am going to use them within my private network or home network wichever term is appropiate.
I f I type telnet Ip address from and to my Mint box I get connection refuse message that's what I asked were is that you go into the start those services even if I used and ftp app i can not connect.
And yes they are installed.
Thanks
Is there an active firewall on the telnet/ftp host?

Code: Select all

service telnetd start
should start telnet server daemon.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

Habitual wrote:Both ftp and telnet are insecure.
How would you recommend maintaining web sites, if not via SFTP?
LinuxJim

Post by LinuxJim »

GreyGeek wrote:Both ftp and telnet are installed by default. You can test their presence on your installation by opening a terminal and issuing
man ftp
or
man telnet
No. The telnet and ftp CLIENTS are installed by default. The SERVERS are not.

There are several ways to activate both telnet and ftp services. One way:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install telnetd ftpd
Then use Habitual's advice above to start/stop the service(s) (and open ports 21 & 23 on your firewall, if enabled).

There are also servers with ssh extensions and other security enhancements, but these are the traditonal packages.
GreyGeek

Post by GreyGeek »

LinuxJim wrote:
GreyGeek wrote:Both ftp and telnet are installed by default. You can test their presence on your installation by opening a terminal and issuing
man ftp
or
man telnet
No. The telnet and ftp CLIENTS are installed by default. ...
The OP asked about telnet and ftp.
LinuxJim

Post by LinuxJim »

GreyGeek wrote:
LinuxJim wrote:
man ftp
or
man telnet
No. The telnet and ftp CLIENTS are installed by default. ...
The OP asked about telnet and ftp.
That's what we're talking about. There are TWO parts to ftp, and TWO parts to telnet. The OP is wanting to use BOTH. Only ONE is installed by default.
GreyGeek wrote: If you use these services be sure that you have a firewall on your router (wireless or otherwise) and that those services are blocked on that firewall. This should prevent people from outside your LAN from gaining access using these very vulnerable services.
Since you were speaking only of ftp and telnet (not their server counterparts, ftpd and telnetd), then this advice makes no sense. The clients are not vulnerable to any attacks. The servers are. I'm sure you're aware of this, just making it clear for any newbies reading this thread.

Return to “Networking”