Which desktop environment?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Which desktop environment?

Cinnamon
38%
Mate
20%
KDE
9%
XFCE
23%
LXDE
3%
Unity
1%
Gnome Shell
3%
Other
3%

Total votes: 92

MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Which desktop environment?

Post by MartyMint »

Hoser Rob wrote: Since there is no Mint 17 LXDE spin, I can't vote for lxde.
There's an unofficial Mint 17.1 spin with LXDE desktop...
chrisonmint

Post by chrisonmint »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Arpee78 wrote:... I have enough RAM, 2-4GB...
Enough for what?

I wouldn't run cinnamon in 2Gb RAM unless the video card had a Gb.
...I have stuck with XFCE on my main linux laptop - an intel i5 machine from 2010 with 4GB of RAM. It runs very nicely, once I chose Compiz as WM.

...I did play with LXDE on my old laptop (Core Duo from 2006 with 2GB ram) and it was amazingly fast. using half the RAM of XFCE (according to that graph in my earlier post) will be very important if you only had 2GB or less. Its amazing how much RAM is used by a web browser with a few tabs open. I found LXDE to be a *little* less user friendly than XFCE, but otherwise it was very impressive.
davcri

Post by davcri »

I voted for CInnamon because I can be more productive with it.
On my notebook I'm using Mint KDE but I miss Cinnamon and it's simple and clean interface.
Hoser Rob wrote:
I'd run KDE in 2Gb if I used Openbox as the WM.
I didn't know that it could be possible to replace KWin with Openbox. What are the pros and cons? Any useful link ? Thanks :)
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

Anyone who develops Linux software ought to seriously consider MATE. I recently did an in-depth comparison of the various Mint DE's to see how they compared with regards to drag and drop implementation, and MATE not only stole the show, it got a perfect score. That said, I'm sure that not all software developers would agree as to what constitutes the "ideal" productive workflow and no doubt some might even argue that drag and drop is of little value to them personally, but why let your DE decide the matter for you? Why let your DE limit your choices?

See http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=198525
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

davcri wrote:I voted for CInnamon because I can be more productive with it.
On my notebook I'm using Mint KDE but I miss Cinnamon and it's simple and clean interface.
Hoser Rob wrote:
I'd run KDE in 2Gb if I used Openbox as the WM.
I didn't know that it could be possible to replace KWin with Openbox. What are the pros and cons? Any useful link ? Thanks :)
If you install openbox (from the repos of course) when you reboot the display manager window should have an option for a kde/openbox session. Openbox is designed for that. It's also well documented.

My preference for finding good info is askubuntu and ubuntuforums. I feel that the mint environment is more newbie friendly that the ubuntu it's based on, but you just cannot argue with the size of the user base and the expertise there.

Also the archlinux wikis. They're incredibly useful but not really newbie level. Arch is not debian based so not everything translates directly into debian/ubuntu/mint.

You may need to create a symlink or 2 to get the KDE app menu have any items in it. See:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/262888/h ... ow-manager

And if you try this please don't then decide you want eye candy and start installing extra compositors like compiz. First, you'll be taking a stable light setup and making it heavier and less reliable.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

MartyMint wrote:Why do we need another poll on "What's Your Favourite DE?".
AUP = Another Useless Poll.

And it's Xfce, NOT XFCE
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

And Don't pronounce it X Force (Like I do) :D :D :D
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Xfce is currently in second place. <w00t>

Of course, with a total of 55 votes, it doesn't mean much. But I still got a kick out of seeing it.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
chrisonmint

Post by chrisonmint »

Habitual wrote: And it's Xfce, NOT XFCE
Whoops...
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

jsalpha2 wrote:And Don't pronounce it X Force (Like I do) :D :D :D

My kids refer to the Xfce desktop as "the one with the hamster"...

Return to “Software & Applications”