Gnome 3.10 on Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) Problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ivex001

Gnome 3.10 on Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) Problem

Post by ivex001 »

Hello,

Im trying to install gnome shell on the new linux mint 17 but im having a hard time.

The installation went normal and i could login on gnome shell without problem.
The problem start when trying to launch gnome tweak tool, the screen goes black and only the tweak tool window appears but nothing works.
i managed to find what i thing is the problem but could find anything about that.

Code: Select all

mutter:ERROR:ui/ui.c:630:meta_ui_get_default_windows_icon: assertion failled (default_icon) Aborted
And for some reason i can't find gnome-control-center and software center, and if i right click on desktop i get only two option Settings and Wallpaper,
and non of them works because of the gnome-control-center.

Can anyone help me please?? I really want to use it.

obs: it works fine on linux mint 14
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ivex001

Re: Gnome 3.10 on Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) Problem

Post by ivex001 »

Come on People. No one never tried to install gnome on linux mint 17 yet??
Gaytan

Post by Gaytan »

I have Gnome-shell 3.10.4 running smoothly on my Linux Mint 17 Qiana.
Just installed it via terminal; I did install the gnome-shell gnome-extensions and gnome-session-manager
Had no problems with it; can open the Gnome Tweak tool without problems as well!

Rgrds
:D
ivex001

Post by ivex001 »

Gaytan wrote:I have Gnome-shell 3.10.4 running smoothly on my Linux Mint 17 Qiana.
Just installed it via terminal; I did install the gnome-shell gnome-extensions and gnome-session-manager
Had no problems with it; can open the Gnome Tweak tool without problems as well!

Rgrds
:D
Thank you for your comment! But How did you install gnome-session-manager?? And did you have to install gdm or mdm??
astaria

Post by astaria »

Yes is there such a thing as gnome-session-manager? I did install gnome-session.
But trying to install gnome-session-manager on Terminal returns "Unable to locate package..."
My Gnome is returning a black screen as well.
astaria

Post by astaria »

Just found a solution. I found I didn't install gdm...
$ sudo apt-get install gdm
(As far as I know) this is a gnome login manager. It will then deinstall the mint one.
It worked for me after that.
(Probably should you wish to reinstall mdm afterwards you would use $ sudo apt-get install mdm).
So far I have found some issues with gnome. It's crashed on me twice so far...
Edit: It stopped crashing when I changed icons to Gnome and windows etc. to Adwaita under "Appearance" under the "Tweak Tool". Probably the Mint-X icons etc. sort of have a tendency to crash the system...

Return to “Software & Applications”