Shutdown logging available?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LLinuxRED

Shutdown logging available?

Post by LLinuxRED »

After installing LM17 Cinnamon (32bit) and shutting down for the first few weeks nothing was displayed on screen in the shutting down procedure. But now I see text coming over and that in a flash of a second. The only thing I can read is "warning" and "modem manager".
My question is if shutdown messages are logged (somewhere) or is another solution on board.

Thanks in advance for you answer,
LL
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WinterTroubles

Re: Shutdown logging available?

Post by WinterTroubles »

I'm running Mint 17 Cinnamon 32bit and ran Mint 16 cinnamon before that, the warning messages about modem manager etc are simply information messages as the system shuts down internal services. Assuming you are having no problems with the shut down and the machine turns off correctly then there is nothing to worry about, as far as I can tell from here.

I'm afraid I don't know where these messages are logged, or even if they are.. Maybe someone else can answer that particular question.

Hope this helps

WT
LLinuxRED

Post by LLinuxRED »

It took some time but now I have the "optical shutdown logfile": a smartphone on tripod before the screen, making photos every second during shutdown.
As you said when the shutdown procedure is going correct there is no real reason to worry, but I still want to know what's going on.
I know that's my problem, but in the event there is a severe or less severe problem I'm wondering if the shutdown-flash-show will be in the same fast way.
The shutdown messages are:
. . ModemManager [828] <info> Caught signal, shutting down...
. . ModemManager [828] <warn> Could not acquire the 'org.freedesktop.ModemManger1' service name
nm-dispatcher.action: Caught signal 15, shutting down...

So far the shutdown messages, the Terminal is showing this:
joe@joe-LM-8421 ~ $ sudo mmcli -L
No modems were found

joe@joe-LM-8421 ~ $ mmcli -m 0
error: couldn't find modem at '/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0'

A few weeks ago I didn't have these ModemManager messages, more precise not any message. Later on these messages came up and that's one of the main reason I wanted to know what these are. Now it looks to me like a dispensable action is causing these ModemManager messages.
Is it possible to turn off these messages and is it advisable to do so?

Note:
In my opinion there is a missing link in the logical Linux state of affairs.
It is possible to check all kinds of situations (running up, activities, connections), but not what happens within the shutdown procedure.

With best regards,
LL
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to answer those points with any accuracy, sorry :(

Hopefully someone with a better technical understanding will be able to assist.
LLinuxRED

Post by LLinuxRED »

After some searching I found out the Modemmanager logging file location (LM17): /var/log/upstart/modemmanager.log
The content of the current (active) logfile:

ModemManager[823]: <warn> Could not acquire the 'org.freedesktop.ModemManager1' service name
g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
ModemManager[823]: <info> ModemManager is shut down
ModemManager[803]: <info> ModemManager (version 1.0.0) starting...
ModemManager[803]: <warn> Couldn't find support for device at '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.5/0000:04:00.0': not supported by any plugin
ModemManager[803]: <warn> Could not acquire the 'org.freedesktop.ModemManager1' service name
g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
ModemManager[803]: <info> ModemManager is shut down
ModemManager[824]: <info> ModemManager (version 1.0.0) starting...
ModemManager[824]: <warn> Couldn't find support for device at '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.5/0000:04:00.0': not supported by any plugin
ModemManager[824]: <warn> Could not acquire the 'org.freedesktop.ModemManager1' service name
ModemManager[824]: <info> ModemManager is shut down
ModemManager[824]: <info> ModemManager (version 1.0.0) starting...
ModemManager[824]: <warn> Couldn't find support for device at '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.5/0000:04:00.0': not supported by any plugin
=============================================================================================
(the equal signs above are made by me as an end-of-text-signal)
Is somebody telling this all a story?
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

let me try:

It's impossible to be sure without actually experimenting on the given machine, but it's most likely a service and quite possibly modem-manager.

Modem-manager is a package related to mobile broadband modems, so if you aren't using any of those, you could just remove it entirely.

If that isn't possible (because you do use it) or fails to stop the issue, then try shutting down some services manually before a reboot, and see if one of these results in a dependably faster (and error-free) shut-down.

That service is therefore the (or a) culprit. If you know you don't need it, you can remove it. Otherwise you can try setting kill timeout 1 to the shut-down parts of its script, though that takes a bit of reading up on the config files for the service in question.
mehimu

Post by mehimu »

Thanks

Return to “Software & Applications”