Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” Xfce RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” Xfce RC released!

Post by clem »

Habitual

Re: Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” Xfce RC released!

Post by Habitual »

Thanks Clem!
minty1

Post by minty1 »

Whee! I've been waiting patiently for this. Can we 'upgrade' from 17 or do we need to reinstall?

Thanks
r00t

Post by r00t »

Don't quote me on this ;) But I think you have to wait until the Final version is released until you can upgrade via the manager. That's what Cinnamon and MATE did, I believe.
minty1

Post by minty1 »

r00t wrote:Don't quote me on this ;) But I think you have to wait until the Final version is released until you can upgrade via the manager. That's what Cinnamon and MATE did, I believe.
Doh! I was so excited I didn't notice the RC. :lol: Thanks
Shunjoss

Post by Shunjoss »

r00t wrote:Don't quote me on this ;) But I think you have to wait until the Final version is released until you can upgrade via the manager. That's what Cinnamon and MATE did, I believe.
Yeah i waited to install it via update manager, i'm not fan of reinstalling every 6 months. So i was patient for cinnamon.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Thank you, Clem (et al)!

I took the liberty of posting a short message with a link to your blog entry on the XFCE "home forum" community website. Maybe it'll cause people to try Mint XFCE who otherwise wouldn't think to - and to get more "eyes" on the RC to help test it out.

BtW, (as always,) remember to verify the .MD5 checksum of any distro .ISO that you download to ensure that the file you have is a bit-for-bit copy of the original.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Nice job team!
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

This RC is terrific and lovely :D
DrM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DrM »

Will this RC-release be automatically updated to the final release of Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce by the update manager?
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

DrM wrote:Will this RC-release be automatically updated to the final release of Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce by the update manager?
I think the idea is that when the final release is available, it will appear as an option under Edit in the Update Manager.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, DrM, hello, H.Remedy.

Telling from the way it worked/works on Mint 17 Cinnamon and Mate, my guess will be this:

Mint 17.1 xfce RC will update itself to Mint 17. xfce final automatically provided you simply install the available updates in Mint Update Manager.
If you are on Mint 17 xfce, however, you will have to go to "Edit" => "Upgrade to Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca" inside Mint Update Manager, in order to turn Mint 17 xfce into Mint 17.1 xfce.
Cf. here e.g.: Of course, you will have to wait till Mint 17.1 xfce has been released, but I would be amazed if the procedure would be different.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
gothicpreston

Post by gothicpreston »

Hi,
Finally got around to trying out the Compiz window manager in the RC.
The switch from XFCE went ok, but then neither the Settings/Window Manager or Window Tweaks would respond; the system just hung up.
The Settings/Desktop panel opened up, but the switch back to XFCE would not work, I was stuck in Compiz.
Whilst in Compiz I lost all the basic keyboard shortcuts and my Conky window suddenly acquired a frame around it.
Hope this feedback is useful.
Looking forward to the final release. Many thanks for all the hard work guys.
Happy New Year
Mark Walton
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

gothicpreston wrote:Hi,
Finally got around to trying out the Compiz window manager in the RC.
The switch from XFCE went ok, but then neither the Settings/Window Manager or Window Tweaks would respond; the system just hung up.
The Settings/Desktop panel opened up, but the switch back to XFCE would not work, I was stuck in Compiz.
Whilst in Compiz I lost all the basic keyboard shortcuts and my Conky window suddenly acquired a frame around it.
Hope this feedback is useful.
Looking forward to the final release. Many thanks for all the hard work guys.
Happy New Year
Mark Walton
Linux Mint Blog wrote:Bug reports:
  • Please report bugs below in the comment section of this blog.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2742

EDIT: BtW, are you running in Virtualbox? If so, there was a mention in the release notes (see the blog) about that.

EDIT #2: Regarding my passing along Clem's instruction to post bug reports in the comment section of the Mint XFCE 17.1 RC blog page, please see my post here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p964616
Apologies. IDK what is going on, lol.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
DrM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DrM »

The official Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce release has still not been released yet, when will it be released?
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

DrM wrote:The official Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce release has still not been released yet, when will it be released?
When it's ready :roll: .

No, that's not a sarcastic answer.

According to https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap there appear to still be some issues.

According to http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/350 there appear to be four "untested cases."

According to common sense, building a new distro (or version of same) is not like building a house - for a developer to say, "I will have all bugs/issues take care of by {date}," is unrealistic. The developer does not control 100% of the code; he uses others' code and must integrate it into his distro, meaning that he cannot say at the beginning that there will be no issues, or when there are issues, how long it will take to deal with them. The developer does not own one of every computer and piece of hardware that his users do and must rely on users downloading/installing/testing/reporting on the RC (perhaps, since this is one of the two editions of Mint that are not considered to be "primary" ones, there has not been a great deal of user feedback yet, or perhaps there have been issues uncovered from said user feedback which have not been resolved yet?). And, well... Even homebuilders sometimes take longer than they had originally estimated, lol.

A developer can build to an absolute release date and, often, end up with an unfinished or even shoddy product because the deadline was more important than the product - or he can build a quality product and release it when it's ready, with the only real downside being that some people will undoubtedly ask, "Are we there, yet?" I know which option I favor - and it appears that Clem (et al) have also chosen that option.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

Iggy64
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Iggy64 »

I have an older box I need to get up and running ASAP. I'm sure I would like to go with Mint 17.1 xfce. I see that it is currently in the RC stage. My choices would be to either

- install Mint 17 xfce, then upgrade when 17.1 stable is released, or

- install Mint 17.1 xfce RC, then upgrade from there when 17.1 stable is released.

Is one approach more "bulletproof" than the other?
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

I installed Mint 17.1 xfce RC and it's working great. In the end, the RC should be at the final version. If something went wrong then I'd do a fresh install, but that's pretty rare, in my experience. I don't see a reason to install 17 if you're intending to go to 17.1.
Iggy64
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Iggy64 »

Thanks for your advice, Adelante.

If one update/upgrade is just as safe as the other, I might as well go ahead with the RC.

Looking forward to getting started!
minty1

Post by minty1 »

If I am running XFCE 17, can I upgrade to Cinnamon 17.1 through update manager?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”