Linux Mint 17.1 codenamed 'Rebecca'

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 17.1 codenamed 'Rebecca'

Post by clem »

hexdef101

Re: Linux Mint 17.1 codenamed 'Rebecca'

Post by hexdef101 »

Thanks Clem !!! Also Feel Free to add some of my wallpapers in... Certainly wouldn't mind one bit.
qbektrix

Post by qbektrix »

Is Rebecca what I downloaded as "linuxmint-17-mate-64bit-v2.iso"??
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

qbektrix wrote:Is Rebecca what I downloaded as "linuxmint-17-mate-64bit-v2.iso"??
No. It is not.
[added]
Why it is not and what it is instead: xenopeek on "updates to the ISO"
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Post by 1.618 »

Can someone explain this or point me in the right direction please.......

mint 17 lts came out in spring, in the past the next release would have been mint 18 towards november time, then 19 next spring and so on... like ubuntu would go 14:04 - 14:10 - 15:04 - 15:10 and so on..... so instead of mint 18 the next release will be 17.1 and the next lts in a few years time will be mint 18? is that how it will now work, that the lts releases will be will be 18 - 19 - 20 and the distros in between will be .1 -.2 -.3 and so on?
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Yes your understanding is right (same as mine, at least :wink: ), no upgrades to the base packages till next LTS. Some announcement links on this earlier -
http://linuxmint.com/rel_qiana_cinnamon ... ew.php#lts
Linux Mint 17 will receive security updates until 2019.

Until 2016, future versions of Linux Mint will use the same package base as Linux Mint 17, making it trivial for people to upgrade.

Until 2016, the development team won't start working on a new base and will be fully focused on this one.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2613
The decision was made to stick to LTS bases. In other words the development team will be focused on the very same package base used by Linux Mint 17 for the next 2 years. It will also be trivial to upgrade from version 17 to 17.1, then 17.2 and so on. Important applications will be backported and we expect this change to boost the pace of our development and reduce the amount of regressions in each new Linux Mint release. This makes Linux Mint 17.x very important to us, not just yet another release, but one that will receive security updates until 2019, one that will receive backports and new features until 2016 and even more importantly, the only package base besides LMDE which we’ll be focused on until 2016.

Post by 1.618 »

Thank you, just wanted to make sure I understood it properly. :-)
Wumper

Post by Wumper »

so, where are the isos for Rebecca? Link please?
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

The ISOs don't exist yet
Maybe mid-November
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Hi guys,

do you know if kernel 3.17 will be available in Mint 17.1 Rebecca ?

Thanks.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Dupo.

Not sure whether the final decision has been made. Here is a hint on Clem's point of view in the middle of September:
Edit by Clem wrote:Edit by Clem: Hi Alexander, I think Canonical is planning 3.16 for early 2015, that would mean 17.2 for us. We tend to be even more conservative than them though when it comes to defaults and what we recommend to users. With that said we can already make these newer kernels available if there is demand out there. We developed a kernel selection screen in the update manager in 17.0, and it got much improved in 17.1. Thanks to that we can give you more choice of kernels, along with information on known regressions and bug fixes. We rely heavily on feedback here, especially when it comes to the kernel, but we can definitely be conservative, bet on what we know works, while at the same time give you additional choices.
Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Hi,
karlchen wrote:Hello, Dupo.

Not sure whether the final decision has been made. Here is a hint on Clem's point of view in the middle of September:
Edit by Clem wrote:Edit by Clem: Hi Alexander, I think Canonical is planning 3.16 for early 2015, that would mean 17.2 for us. We tend to be even more conservative than them though when it comes to defaults and what we recommend to users. With that said we can already make these newer kernels available if there is demand out there. We developed a kernel selection screen in the update manager in 17.0, and it got much improved in 17.1. Thanks to that we can give you more choice of kernels, along with information on known regressions and bug fixes. We rely heavily on feedback here, especially when it comes to the kernel, but we can definitely be conservative, bet on what we know works, while at the same time give you additional choices.
Kind regards,
Karl
some Mint users have device that they can't use because their device is supported from the kernel 3.17 (example: sound card).

Therefore, I asked this question
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Dupo.

If I do not misunderstand Clem, then Mint 17.1 will not install kernel 3.16 or 3.17 by default, but you will be able to install it from inside mintUpdate. I cannot tell whether this will be true for 3.16 only or for 3.17, too.

Kind regards,
Karl
Lifeline
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

There are no kernels newer than 3.13 in Ubuntu 14.04 repos, so there's simply no reliable source to get them into Mint 17.
(No, various PPAs are not a reliable source, and Ubuntu 14.10 repos aren't either.)
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Is this source reliable enough?

https://www.kernel.org/

Currently using kernel 3.15.5 (yes, there was a reason).
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

14.04 should make the 14.10 kernel available as a hardware enablement stack. At that point it should be accessible in the repos.
ibDoug

Post by ibDoug »

Will this version have fixes for the 'Power management app' which completely stopped working in the first release on my Acer netbook??
-Michel-

Post by -Michel- »

kyphi wrote:Is this source reliable enough?

https://www.kernel.org/

Currently using kernel 3.15.5 (yes, there was a reason).
You can look for the kernels over here -> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
mr_raider wrote:14.04 should make the 14.10 kernel available as a hardware enablement stack. At that point it should be accessible in the repos.
14.10 kernels are named vivid and work on mint 17. Running it for few days and had no single issue
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

There is already a linux distro named "Rebecca Black." Named after an American pop singer and dancer who gained extensive media attention with the 2011 single "Friday".
RebeccaBlackOS - http://sourceforge.net/projects/rebeccablackos/
vito_spatafore

Post by vito_spatafore »

Hi there!

where can I find the link to download Rebecca...

alpha,beta,rc, whatever...

tia!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”