Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Xfce is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
noelbeth55

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Xfce is out!

Post by noelbeth55 »

Well i got the XFCE version, sorry Cinnamom but you are gone. I have seen nothing like this. Thanks Mint.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Just installed Mint 17 XFCE v2 on my old PC with 1 GB RAM and 2 GHz CPU. Runs like a cheetah!

I'm just wondering why the panel is so big? I'm using the XFCE version for the first time, before that I was running Mate here.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Panel size is easily adjusted from 16 to 128 pixels in height (and the width as a percentage of the overall screen width), along with the usual orientation, location, and auto-hide option that the panels in all quality desktop environments have.

If you require assistance, post a thread in our XFCE subforum.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

MtnDewManiac wrote:Panel size is easily adjusted from 16 to 128 pixels in height (and the width as a percentage of the overall screen width), along with the usual orientation, location, and auto-hide option that the panels in all quality desktop environments have.

If you require assistance, post a thread in our XFCE subforum.

Regards,
MDM

I know. It's just a personal point of view. :wink:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

RacerBG wrote:I'm just wondering why the panel is so big?
Reduce it from 32 to 24 and you'll see a visual glitch in the clock applet.
It's a workaround. :)

You can try the patch from here but it's untested.
markas

Post by markas »

Thought I'd share my experience with two great Mint 17 releases:
Mint 17 Xfce 32bit and Mint 17 Cinnamon 32 bit on my HP DV9230us laptop 2GB ram Intel Core 2 Duo T5500. Both versions ran well but the Xfce was just a bit snappier and is my current version of choice. Immediately after a fresh install of each, I ran all updates and rebooted. Then I deactivated any nonessential(for me) startup programs and in the case of Cinnamon, applets. I then installed Htop terminal based system monitor. I then rebooted again, opened a terminal and ran Htop to compare ram and cpu usage. I then rebooted again and repeated. Cinnamon used 204-206mb of ram and 3-9% of cpu resources at idle after fresh reboot. Xfce used 160-162mb of ram and 0-3% of cpu resources at idle after fresh reboot. With Cinnamon I experienced a handful of "hangs" in Firefox while browsing a dozen or two tabs and streaming youtube or other videos simultaneously. Browser hungup for 15-30 seconds then returned to normal most every time except for a few when I needed to restart Firefox. I have had no such browser issues while using Xfce. I can highly recommend both versions, but appreciate the lean mean characteristics of Xfce and it does everything that I want. The Thunar file manager it comes with is functional, however, I replaced it with the amazing SpaceFm file manager which allows multiple panels to make moving files around so much easier. I do a lot of video downloading and move them to different partitions depending on if I will be archiving, uploading, sharing or deleting after viewing, and the multiple panel feature is extremely useful and important to me. SpaceFm is also very resource friendly, using only 9mb of ram compared to 24 for Thunar. SpaceFm supports thumbnails for images, but not for videos, but even as a video junkie, I personally do not find video thumbnails useful or important. I choose videos by title not by an image. Image thumbnails work great for choosing pics, so all is great with SpaceFm for me. I am not a KDE fan as I like a completely clean and empty desktop, and have not spent much time with Mate as I found it used similar resources as Cinnamon but was much less feature rich. If I was writing code or doing other intensive production work on my machine, I would likely choose Cinnamon because of the great multiple workspace/desktop features. As more of a "user" who surfs the web and uses his machne as a multimedia player, Xfce is my choice. My HP model is known to run hot, so any chance to save cpu cycles and reduce operating temps works for me. Hope this comparison helps others. I'll also point out that never before has a fresh install of any Mint version been so fast and simple, so trying out all flavors oneself is not that hard or time consuming. I'd also love to hear similar comparisons from others.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”