wicd instead of network manager

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

wicd instead of network manager

Postby pottzie on Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:27 pm

I've installed wicd from the Package Manager. It installed OK, I had to add myself to the "users" group. Now I have wicd, but can't use it to connect to the 'net. Network Manager still works, and as far as i know I have to disable Network Manager and somehow "turn on" wicd. Any ideas as to how that's done?
pottzie
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: wicd instead of network manager

Postby willie42 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:49 pm

here is something you might want to read that is very interesting.

http://nthrbldyblg.blogspot.com/2010/03 ... pagui.html
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Postby tdockery97 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:53 pm

I actually have both installed in LMDE. I need WICD when I do updates because it will connect when you drop out of X, where Network Manager will not. When I am in my normal usage mode, I disconnect WICD and use Network Manager, which works better for me on the desktop. The reason I don't use WICD for both is that one of my apps will not connect through WICD for some reason.

Bottom line is that I learned the hard way about doing my updates outside of X so that my video doesn't get borked.

Getting back to your question, just left-click on the WICD icon and it will bring up your connections. You can then disconnect, and let Network Manager handle your connection. It will also work the other way around. :wink:

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby pottzie on Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:06 pm

i guess my problem is that wicd shows "no networks found." I'm trying wicd because when I use Network Manager, when it drops the connection, the only way I have found to reconnect is to reboot. Kind of a pain when you've just typed a several paragraph post, only to discover when you hit "send," that the network has dropped and you have to restart the computer. Bummer.
The left-click-on-the-icon info was spot on! No networks found, but it still gets me farther ahead than I was. Thanks.
pottzie
Level 2
Level 2

Postby vrkalak on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:04 am

The only drawback to using Wicd is that it does not yet support using USB 3G Modems for an Internet Connection ... Network-Manager does.

Just my opinion > but, Network-Manager handles WiFi connections for my AAO Netbook better than Wicd does. Tried them both.
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10

Postby vrkalak on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:11 am

pottzie wrote:. . . because when I use Network Manager, when it drops the connection, the only way I have found to reconnect is to reboot.

Next time, use these commands, in the terminal.

sudo service networking start
sudo service network-manager restart

When I used to have the same connection/dropping problems with Network-Manager, this always brought it back, without re-booting.
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Newbie Questions