Compiz not working with Intel GMA 3150

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Gust

Compiz not working with Intel GMA 3150

Post by Gust »

Hi,

I don't know if I should post my question in here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... an#p315512 but as I have a different graphics card, I thought I open a new topic...

Compiz doesn't work. I already tried the following:

- compiz --replace &
as I tried this the first time, everything crashed. At first the window decorations disappeared and after that the whole system stuck

- then I have done some settings in the gconftool: apps --> desktop --> gnome --> session --> required_components -----> and there I have set the windowmanager to compiz.

This does not do anything at all. When I now set wobbly windows in the compiz config manager, nothing happens. The system works as before. No wobbly windows, no other effects, I noticed.

Then I had a look into my second computer, which runs Ubuntu and saw that the actual package "compiz" is installed in Ubuntu, but not in LMDE. So I installed it and tried the first command again:

compiz --replace &

this time it gave me

Code: Select all

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
compiz (core) - Fatal: Root visual is not a GL visual
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

Launching fallback window manager
thats strange. Because on this computer I also have had Fedora up and running and Fedora activates the desktop effects by default, because the Intel driver are in the system - no need to install proprietary stuff like with nvidia or ati.

So what do I have to do to activate desktop effects?

Any hints and tips would be very much appreciated!!

besides that, LMDE is great!!

thanks & regards
Steffen
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ottorto

Re: Compiz not working with Intel GMA 3150

Post by ottorto »

I have two pc's with intel video that needed the following to get compiz working. Cut and pasted from some forum I googled into while troubleshooting:

Run these commands in a terminal:

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo update-alternatives --remove gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf

Log out or reboot then launch compiz (command line: compiz --replace&) and it works! You have to enable specific effects in the control center (like opacity).

Worked for me, anyway, on 2 different chipsets (one is a G41, the other a i3/H55). Good luck!
Gust

Post by Gust »

this worked like a walk in the park!

Thank you very much!
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

ottorto wrote:sudo update-alternatives --remove gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf
I've been wondering if this step is really necessary. As the solution mentioned is an Ubuntu one I left it out and still had success in getting compiz working. It would be nice to clarify if it is really required.
ottorto

Post by ottorto »

No problemo, Gust! Glad to be of service.

omns: I'm not sure what the nvidia stuff is all about, I just threw caution to the wind.... I certainly defer to your expertise! :-)
Gust

Post by Gust »

omns wrote:
ottorto wrote:sudo update-alternatives --remove gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf
I've been wondering if this step is really necessary. As the solution mentioned is an Ubuntu one I left it out and still had success in getting compiz working. It would be nice to clarify if it is really required.
I don't think that it is necessary. As I ran the command, it told me that nothing of this nvidia stuff is installed, so it won't be removed. But it also does no harm.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Gust wrote:I don't think that it is necessary. As I ran the command, it told me that nothing of this nvidia stuff is installed, so it won't be removed. But it also does no harm.
Thanks for the feedback :) I've been collating some of the compiz fixes for nvidia and intel and want to make sure I'm not including any unnecessary steps http://musings.omnsproject.org/?p=680
maresee

Post by maresee »

i have ati mobility radeon.. i do only these 3 steps

sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

compiz --replace &

and its work!! thank you
outslider

Post by outslider »

Thank you for solution! You saved my time!
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

This works also on Intel DG965RY to get Compiz and Google Earth working. Thx Gust for this post.

Return to “LMDE Archive”