[SOLVED]cinnamon doesn't work on Mint 16 Xfce

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TANUJMINTLINUX

[SOLVED]cinnamon doesn't work on Mint 16 Xfce

Post by TANUJMINTLINUX »

I installed cinnamon desktop in mint 16 xfce from software manager .
and now when i try to enter in Cinnamon desktop through login window the session ends
abruptly with a notice stating "cinnamon shutsdown unexpectedly"

what should I do? :x
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Re: cinnamon doesn't work on Mint 16 Xfce

Post by daveinuk »

You might want to post some spec's on your hardware so people can help you better - I'm hazarding a guess at what you've provided so far, that your machine is either not capable of running cinnamon or you have a driver/graphics issue. I don't know which desktop you started off with, or what you've done since, so some vital info first please - open up a terminal, (menu or ctrl+alt+t) copy/paste the following command and post the results back between code tags (between quote and list in your reply) please.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

daveinuk wrote:You might want to post some spec's on your hardware so people can help you better...
As daveinuk posted, do this from "Terminal" to show what hardware and drivers you're dealing with there.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fx
Also when you "added Cinnamon" via Software Manager, exactly what packages you installed. There's more than one needed for a complete DE like that.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Thanks gtsfer . . . . . . . . . always helps if you actually post a command eh lol . . . . . . . . :roll: :lol:
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

daveinuk wrote:Thanks gtsfer . . . . . . . . . always helps if you actually post a command eh lol . . . . . . . . :roll: :lol:
A small oversight I'm sure. :) Just yesterday I posted back to a person that "Yes, freeing up 100MB would be a good idea to install LM". :oops: I meant a 100 Gig.
TANUJMINTLINUX

Post by TANUJMINTLINUX »

gtsfer wrote:
daveinuk wrote:You might want to post some spec's on your hardware so people can help you better...
As daveinuk posted, do this from "Terminal" to show what hardware and drivers you're dealing with there.

inxi -Fx
Also when you "added Cinnamon" via Software Manager, exactly what packages you installed. There's more than one needed for a complete DE like that.
hi there !!
i typed the command as u said and following info it gives::

Kernel: 3.11.0-12-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.1) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.10.2 (Gtk 2.24.20) Distro: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Machine:   Mobo: HCL Infosystems Limited model: Notebook PC version: REFERENCE Bios: Phoenix version: H2.05 date: 12/30/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 8666.56 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1000.00 MHz 2: 1000.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA C79 [GeForce 9200M G] bus-ID: 02:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,nouveau) FAILED: vesa Resolution: 1280x800@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 8200M G/integrated/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 319.32 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: NVIDIA MCP79 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:08.0 Sound: ALSA ver: k3.11.0-12-generic
Network:   Card-1: NVIDIA MCP79 Ethernet driver: forcedeth port: 30d0 bus-ID: 00:0a.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:22:20:03:f8:32
           Card-2: Ralink RT2501/RT2573 Wireless Adapter usb-ID: 148f:2573
           IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
and i only installed package which says cinnamon desktop
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

TANUJMINTLINUX wrote:and i only installed package which says cinnamon desktop
I am pretty sure there's more to adding a desktop environment than just the "Cinnamon Desktop" package. There's a session manager, control center, settings daemon, themes and some "common" packages. I'm going to have to Google for some answers on the Mint forums. Maybe someone with more knowledge adding a DE will show how it's done in the meantime.

Btw... when did your "shutdown" problems first start? If it was right after you added the Cinnamon Desktop package, these issues could be related. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=165504

I'm also not seeing anything there from the "inxi" command about how much memory you have in your system. Seems like it should be there too.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Apparently the way to do this correctly is to install the package "meta-mint-cinnamon". This will pull in all packages necessary for a complete Cinnamon environment. By way of example, see this thread. Look for KarlChen's post. It shows the proper way to add Xfce to Mate, but the concept is probably the same for adding Cinnamon. Synaptic Package Manager is probably the safest way to do this or using an apt-get. That way any other dependencies will get detected and added in the process.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p815960

You should probably run this in terminal first to get an idea if you have enough memory to run the Cinnamon DE first.

cat /proc/meminfo
TANUJMINTLINUX

Post by TANUJMINTLINUX »

gtsfer wrote:Apparently the way to do this correctly is to install the package "meta-mint-cinnamon". This will pull in all packages necessary for a complete Cinnamon environment. By way of example, see this thread. Look for KarlChen's post. It shows the proper way to add Xfce to Mate, but the concept is probably the same for adding Cinnamon. Synaptic Package Manager is probably the safest way to do this or using an apt-get. That way any other dependencies will get detected and added in the process.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p815960

You should probably run this in terminal first to get an idea if you have enough memory to run the Cinnamon DE first.

cat /proc/meminfo

now the memory info is :
MemTotal: 960220 kB
MemFree: 257204 kB
Buffers: 72540 kB
Cached: 345316 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 297632 kB
Inactive: 348228 kB
Active(anon): 228884 kB
Inactive(anon): 4308 kB
Active(file): 68748 kB
Inactive(file): 343920 kB
Unevictable: 16 kB
Mlocked: 16 kB
HighTotal: 68424 kB
HighFree: 948 kB
LowTotal: 891796 kB
LowFree: 256256 kB
SwapTotal: 489468 kB
SwapFree: 489468 kB
Dirty: 100 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 228144 kB
Mapped: 92016 kB
Shmem: 5192 kB
Slab: 29228 kB
SReclaimable: 16836 kB
SUnreclaim: 12392 kB
KernelStack: 2560 kB
PageTables: 5752 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
WritebackTmp: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 969576 kB
Committed_AS: 1375564 kB
VmallocTotal: 122880 kB
VmallocUsed: 46984 kB
VmallocChunk: 57844 kB
HardwareCorrupted: 0 kB
AnonHugePages: 0 kB
HugePages_Total: 0
HugePages_Free: 0
HugePages_Rsvd: 0
HugePages_Surp: 0
Hugepagesize: 2048 kB
DirectMap4k: 53240 kB
DirectMap2M: 860160 kB
now will my system run cinnamon and about the shutdown problem- it was there from the day i installed MINT 16 xfce.

i figured out the meta cinnamon package and will try installing it.
but just intalling lxde from software manager worked so , why it is not working for cinnamon the same way?

and yeah! thanks for the help brother!! :?
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

TANUJMINTLINUX wrote: now the memory info is :

now will my system run cinnamon and about the shutdown problem- it was there from the day i installed MINT 16 xfce.

but just intalling lxde from software manager worked so , why it is not working for cinnamon the same way?
You have about a Gigabyte of memory installed in your machine. That's not a whole lot and I think Cinnamon needs more memory and requires more HW resources in general than XFCE. I would think about staying away from it. Forget the meta package install.

Since the problem was there before you installed the "Cinnamon Desktop", they are not related. It was just a question that I wanted to clear up.

What exactly did you install? I see you now mention "LDXE installed from sw manager", and that you installed XFCE first, just how many desktop environments are involved now? Did you perhaps install the "meta package" for LXDE? That's why it worked, you got all necessary components and dependancies.

Up until that last post there was no mention of Lxde being installed too so I don't have a good idea what kind of state your system is in now.
Last edited by gtsfer on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TANUJMINTLINUX

Post by TANUJMINTLINUX »

gtsfer wrote:
TANUJMINTLINUX wrote: now the memory info is :

You have about a Gigabyte of memory installed in your machine. That's not a whole lot and I think Cinnamon needs more memory and requires more HW resources in general than XFCE. I would think about staying away from it. Forget the meta package install.

Since the problem was there before you installed the "Cinnamon Desktop", they are not related. It was just a question that I wanted to clear up.

What exactly did you install? I see you now mention "LDXE installed from sw manager", and that you installed XFCE first, just how many desktop environments are involved now? Did you perhaps install the "meta package" for LXDE? That's why it worked, you got all necessary components and dependancies.
AND yes, i think that 1GB is quite the right amount of memory to run cinnamon

well i started with pure xfce version of the mint 16.
alright ,then i installed lxde coz its more lightweight than xfce perhaps and it worked as i mentioned.
then i tried installing cinnamon DE but i does not works. :?:
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

TANUJMINTLINUX wrote:AND yes, i think that 1GB is quite the right amount of memory to run cinnamon

well i started with pure xfce version of the mint 16.
alright ,then i installed lxde coz its more lightweight than xfce perhaps and it worked as i mentioned.
then i tried installing cinnamon DE but i does not works. :?:
Well you're right in that the requirements state that 512 MB should be enough. But there are a lot of people that have run into problems with Cinnamon even with a megabyte of RAM. I've seen a lot of posts on here where it's just too hard for Cinnamon to handle with those resources.

Plus you only installed one component of Cinnamon, not the whole meta package. It's not going to function right like that in the first place.

And for the other "shutdown" problem, was it always like that? Just with LM 16 xcfe installed? Or not? Do you remember if you performed a system update after you installed Xfce and did the initial reboot? I would think about at least removing that Cinnamon Desktop package you installed.

If it were me and there's nothing much worth losing on your system I would go back and install xcfe from scratch. Do the software update. And then see about that whether that shutdown problem is still there first.

If you want to try the Cinnamon DE again (with the meta package), that's up to you, you're more than welcome to give it a shot.

Return to “Xfce”