KDE 9 amd64 Stable nVidia driver problem. (solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

KDE 9 amd64 Stable nVidia driver problem. (solved)

Post by Old Ruler »

As the Isadora KDE Edition amd64 (build #6) was "Approved for Stable release" four days ago, I decided to give it a try yesterday. The 'Live DVD' only ran in low graphics mode, but I went ahead and installed it.

There were no further warnings of graphics problems, so I carried on and set everything up to my liking. I remember seeing, on previous Linux-Mint installs, an alert suggesting to install restricted nVidia drivers. No alert to that effect was seen, so I hoped that they had been magically installed somehow. On testing OpenGL performance of screensavers it was obviously not so.

I found an application which seemed to be the right thing to use (I have no access to the desktop any more and can't remember its name) and installed the "recommended" driver. On reboot xorg complained that 'nvidia driver wasn't loaded' (I think) and only after 'mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe /etc/X11/xorg.conf' and 'startx' could I get my desktop back. Since rebooting, today, nothing I've tried so far has got xorg running again.

During an 'apt-get update' yet another kernel was installed, making three in all - 2.6.32-21-generic, 2.6.32-23-generic and 2.6.32-24-generic.

Any suggestions on how to fix the nvidia driver problem would be extremely appreciated. The last thing I did was similar to this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=33

But I got " Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed."

I'm a bit lost, but I have a perfect working LM9 amd64 KDE-on-top-of-Gnome install on another partition, so it's not all bad.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
olligod

Re: KDE 9 amd64 Stable nVidia driver problem.

Post by olligod »

Old Ruler wrote:As the Isadora KDE Edition amd64 (build #6) was "Approved for Stable release" four days ago, I decided to give it a try yesterday. The 'Live DVD' only ran in low graphics mode, but I went ahead and installed it.

There were no further warnings of graphics problems, so I carried on and set everything up to my liking. I remember seeing, on previous Linux-Mint installs, an alert suggesting to install restricted nVidia drivers. No alert to that effect was seen, so I hoped that they had been magically installed somehow. On testing OpenGL performance of screensavers it was obviously not so.

I found an application which seemed to be the right thing to use (I have no access to the desktop any more and can't remember its name) and installed the "recommended" driver. On reboot xorg complained that 'nvidia driver wasn't loaded' (I think) and only after 'mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe /etc/X11/xorg.conf' and 'startx' could I get my desktop back. Since rebooting, today, nothing I've tried so far has got xorg running again.

Hi friend - let me come to the rescue! (possibly...)

Got the same problem. Turns out the newest NVIDIA driver that ist "recommended" does not work as advertised in many cases.
I spent a while, including installing Nvidia original driver from their web site plus kernel source and what not - to no avail.
Did all that you did including new kernel 2.6.32-24 and stuff.

The simple solution for me was to use the "version 173" from the "Mint Install Hardware driver" section.
That is not "recommended" - except by me for the moment :D
It works just fine for me.

IF YOU CAN'T START X NOW, do the following workaround (else jump further down on my sugggestions)

-----
Emergency edit with no graphics (so to speak) to follow

temporarily do the following (Assuming you are on a command line)
- Edit /usr/X11/xorg.conf as sudo or root
- replace

Code: Select all

Driver   "nvidia" 
with

Driver   "nv" 
Are you able to edit from a command line if you have no X ?
(Just in case the following instructions):

There is the "vi" editor, therefore

sudo vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf
opens the editor with sudo rights.
To delete characters, move over it and delete them.
To insert characters, you need to go into "insert" mode by typing i
to finish insert mode, hit ESC.
to save, first leave insert mode (hit ESC); then type :w
(note the double-colon : is part of the command!)
to leave vi after saving, type :q
to leave vi without saving, make sure you leave insert mode (hit ESC) , then type :q!

Your edit temporarily causes the use of the open-source non-accelerated driver.

You should then be able to start X by typing "startx"

End of Emergency edit with no graphics

-----

If you are in X doing all this, just try to install the other driver

Click thru the KDE menu to install the "nvidia driver 173".
This will (hopefully) get you a working nvidia module - and it changes the xorg.conf file (back).

You need to reboot.
You may not be able to end X easily though. The "logout option" was not working for me, maybe because it is no longer usual to start x *After* login.
Ctr-alt-backspace is also a problem and may not work.
In that case, type from a konsole that you need to open

sudo reboot

After reboot you hopefully start automatically into X. You may even be greeted by the nvidia-settings.
I could then set twinview (2 screens) and all.

Good luck.
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Re: KDE 9 amd64 Stable nVidia driver problem.

Post by Old Ruler »

olligod - thank you so much. Editing (with aee which I had already installed. I can use vi, but I'd rather not :)) xorg.conf to use the 'nv' driver got my desktop working again. Sadly, something I had done had removed any choice of proprietary nvidia driver that the 'hardware' widget could find. So I went through a procedure I had previously used, but this time after choosing the 2.6.32-23-generic kernel at the grub chooser. I was quite surprised it produced a working kernel and nvidia driver combo. If I run the harware thing now, it tells me "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system.", but it does mention nvidia_current as being "activated, but not currently in use". Nvidia X Server Settings says NVIDIA Driver Version: 195.36.24 and OpenGL is working etc. It's really nice to have it working again...

Thanks again.
olligod

Re: KDE 9 amd64 Stable nVidia driver problem. (solved)

Post by olligod »

Your system's feedback seems to be a bit ambiguous as to whether accelerated/3D graphics is actually running.
I tend to believe the NVIDIA settings (that gave you the driver build number) rather than the Mint/Ubuntu interface

So that seems that the "Install proprietary drivers" interface by Ubuntu/Mint is also somewhat buggy -
because you most likely do have real nvidia driver running
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

From some additional research:

1) Bug - Falsely states "No Drivers in use" but the drivers are installed and working

2) Source of the problem - It appears that this possibly related to an upstream change by Canonical on how "they" want things packaged from the vendors.
Please do not manually install nvidia proprietary drivers in Ubuntu, as they refuse to be compatible with Ubuntu's new glx alternatives infrastructure that the rest of our drivers use.

AMD's proprietary drivers are safe to use if you use their --buildpkg Ubuntu/10.04 (replace with your version) feature, as they've worked with Ubuntu/Canonical on their packaging infrastructure.

As others have noted, there's an x-swat PPA that contains newer builds of all the drivers, which is probably the easiest way.
This was posted elsewhere by a person involved in Canonical development...

My personally OPINIONATED translation :D : "We decided to change the way things are packaged up, even though it was working perfectly fine. Change to our 'new and improved' way!"

Dumping a big change on to a LINUX FRIENDLY VENDOR is not the way to do this... even more so DON'T SCREW WITH WHATS NOT BROKE!

I don't care if ati is working with you... I will never purchase ati video again, never.
/end opinionated rant

So there appears to an issue higher up..... :(
kennethcyrus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: KDE 9 amd64 Stable nVidia driver problem. (unsolved)

Post by kennethcyrus »

Dear Folks,

I'm facing the same problem. :(
I tried installing the non-recommended 173 driver, still the problem persists.
Can I install the proprietary driver provided by NVIDIA in Linux Mint KDE x64?

Thanks & Regards,
Kenny
Raffles10

Post by Raffles10 »

kennethcyrus wrote:Dear Folks,

I'm facing the same problem. :(
I tried installing the non-recommended 173 driver, still the problem persists.
Can I install the proprietary driver provided by NVIDIA in Linux Mint KDE x64?

Thanks & Regards,
Kenny
No you can't. :(

But you can in Kubuntu 10.04. :D
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Raffles10 wrote:But you can in Kubuntu 10.04.
This IS THE KMint forum..
Raffles10

Post by Raffles10 »

rec9140 wrote:
Oh I see......in that case let me do you a favour >> Exit

:wink:
newkdemintuser

Post by newkdemintuser »

Hi everybody!

This is my first post, I hope to help you.

Well, I had the same trouble with he nVidia driver, but I got to install the 195.36.24 (I think it is the last version available for us, please tell me if I am wrong) driver on my Linux Mint 9 KDE 64 bits edition.

1) The trouble is related with the 2.6.32.23 kernel nvidia module: it didn't load although the Hardware Drivers installation appeared to be successful;
2) Visit http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1521418 and please read what is written there;
3) The solution that worked for my laptop was written in the page 2, the one proposed by the user "breek"

Please consider that I always prefer to work with Synaptic, instead of mintInstall or another software manager. With Synaptic I see what packages I am installing, their dependencies, and dpkg messages (this way I guessed that 2.6.32.23 kernel nvidia module was not available).

I was Kubuntu user for a long time, and I am gladly surprised by Linux Mint 9 KDE edition. Great community!
fbobraga

Post by fbobraga »

Same problem here: mint KDE 64bit and 'nvidia-current' not working (I doesn't get to the Desktop after installing it through "Hardware Drivers").

Solved by updating kernel to 2.6.32-24-generic: after the upgrade and reboot, the Desktop opened again (and with effects enabled) :P - the "mint update manager" blocks this kernel update, making the 'nvidia-current' don't work...
RidgeRunner

Post by RidgeRunner »

Raffles10 wrote:But you can in Kubuntu 10.04. :D
You're on the right track. In Synaptic/settings/repositories, on the Mint tab check backports.... on the Other Software tab check http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu Don't update anything with backports enabled!

Refresh (apt-get update), close synaptic. Then menu/system/hardware drivers... remove anything activated. Then activate the nvidia listing. It will find the missing, linux-libc-dev-2.6.32-24xxxx (headers) in backports, and install correctly. REBOOT, and disable the backport repos!
gnopak

Post by gnopak »

Based on advice posted by newkdemintuser I managed to activate nVidia proprietary driver. Step by step:

0) Linux Mint 9 Isadora, KDE edition

1) sudo aptitude update

2) sudo aptitude full-upgrade

3) Reboot
- this step install new kernel (2.6.32-24) and new xserver-xorg-core
- results:
Boot splash shows only 5 dots, not the pretty Mint logo.
PC boots into kernel 3.6.32-24, grub gives no choice to boot other installed kernels.
Linux headers 2.6.32-24 are NOT INSTALLED. See the next step.

4) Use aptitude to install linux-headers-2.6.32-24
How to do this:
run sudo aptitude, type 'l', type 'headers', press Enter, find linux-headers-2.6.32-24, type +, type g, type g).
- results:
aptitude displays among other things:
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms 2.6.32-24-generic /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/nvidia-common 2.6.32-24-generic /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic

5) Launch "Hardware Drivers" (jockey-kde).
NVIDIA proprietary current driver is reported as active. I did not check if nvidia or nouveau were running at this point. So if you have Desktop Effects working you are done! Check if the /var/log/Xorg.0.log lists "nouveau" or "nvidia". If it lists nvidia, you are done.

6) Remove the nVidia driver in "Hardware Drivers".

7) Reboot
- result: splash screen has the nice Mint logo
- lsmod displays "nouveau" and does not display "nvidia"

8) Run Launch "Hardware Drivers". Choose NVIDIA proprietary driver "current". Click "Activate".

9) Reboot
- results:
Boot splash shows only 5 dots, not the pretty Mint logo.
nVidia driver is working! Check if the /var/log/Xorg.0.log lists "nouveau" or "nvidia". If it lists nvidia, you are done.
gnopak

Post by gnopak »

The forum software converted the symbol for step 8 to a sunglasses emoticon....
dequire

Post by dequire »

rec9140 wrote:
rec9140 -

I don't see a problem with that post. The OP was asking about proprietary nVidia drivers. So the answer was relevant. I could see saying something if the thread was hijacked, but it wasn't. We'll all FOSS people here, and everyone should be made welcome. As an aside, more interaction with both KDE and Kubuntu upstreams can't hurt ;)

- d
cudayne

Post by cudayne »

I was wondering i switched over too the kde version of mint an had the nvidia problem. I followed all teh steps except thisone.

4) Use aptitude to install linux-headers-2.6.32-24
How to do this:
run sudo aptitude, type 'l', type 'headers', press Enter, find linux-headers-2.6.32-24, type +, type g, type g).
- results:
aptitude displays among other things:
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms 2.6.32-24-generic /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/nvidia-common 2.6.32-24-generic /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic

i follwed the rest an the driver worksfine it booted exactly as described when i reinstalled the nvidia drivers. My question is will not following the above step have an adeverse effect? Reason for not following it is didnt understand what the heck the aptitude was an where the I an headers were too install them.
gnopak

Post by gnopak »

cudayne wrote: i follwed the rest an the driver worksfine
Then you are good.

I inserted the "install headers" step because someone in the forum said it was necessary. Perhaps it is not. It may not be required if the difference between your original kernel and current kernel is so small that recompilation against kernel headers is not required. Or perhaps no compilation ever is now required for nvidia proprietary driver. In the past, when you changed your kernel, nvidia needed to be recompiled against kernel headers with the same version number as the kernel itself.

"aptitude" is an application similar to Synaptic. While Synaptic requires running X server (graphics mode), aptitude runs in text mode. Aptitude is hence indispensable package manager when you cannot get into graphics mode. Synaptic and aptitude have identical purpose. Use synaptic when you can. Use aptitude when you cannot use Synaptic.
ferro

Post by ferro »

I haven't looked to see if there is a new or old thread. I just wanted to share my findings. Overall it was pretty simple.
I did see in another post there is a slightly different way of disabling nouveau in order to install the proprietary drivers that is fairly simple.

From a fresh install, with an active internet connection I began by editing the default grub configuration by adding nouveau.blacklist=1 to /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nouveau.blacklist=1 quiet splash"

The above line is how mine reads. It may not be the correct line, but hey, it works.
After a reboot I simple went into hardware drivers and installed the recommended nvidia driver on the list.
Being on a laptop, I did have to use the screen toggle button to get the display to show on my external (busted lcd on laptop)

At this point you should be able to run the nvidia x server settings and setup your resolutions the way you want.

As for the splash screen, I'm still dubbing with that, but since everything else works perfecly now, I may not bother
ferro

Post by ferro »

Being overtired makes you forget things. After adding nouveau.blacklist=1 to /etc/default/grub, you need to run sudo update-grub
shu48

Post by shu48 »

Nice one! Nvidia driver is working. I still just get the big dots on boot and no mint logo but i don't mind too much. Any idea why I can have any refresh rate I like as long as it's 6oHz (or Auto)? I was hoping to be able to up the refresh rate once this was installed to something that doesn't give me a headache.

Return to “Software & Applications”