KDE 4.4.1

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

KDE 4.4.1

Post by exploder »

I haven't seen a topic dedicated to KDE 4.4.1 and wondered what everyones experience was with it so far? I installed the new version as soon as it became available and have been keeping it updated. I have been real happy with the experience so far, the system seems much quicker and it is running real smooth. I have read posts saying that KDE 4.4.1 is using more processor and ram but everything looks about the same here. What is your experience with 4.4.1?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nico

Re: KDE 4.4.1

Post by nico »

i smoothly installed 4.4.1 and noticed an increased speed in booting up the whole system, plasma is working fine now as well as some gadgets i wasn't able to visualize before.
good work :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I noticed that the desktop loaded a lot faster too. :D
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

At first glance it appeared to me that KDE 4.4.1 was using more RAM but the RAM was actually sitting in cache.
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

exploder what repositories are you using for it? The Ubuntu PPA's?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Yes, I am using the ppa repos.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

4.4.1 is actually working better for me in a VM than 4.4.0 was installed on my laptop. I daresay it's quite an improvement.
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

Strictly speaking, this is the wrong thread to ask this, but I have a rather vexing problem after I tried to upgrade a fresh 64-bit Helena KDE CE to 4.4.1. During the upgrade process (I used apt-get dist-upgrade) everything but the mouse cursor disappeared and the upgrade seemed to be stuck. Now, after a reboot, before I can log in I get an error message that a file in /usr/share/kde4/.../oxygen cannot be found, and after that all I get is a terminal command prompt. I have no Internet access, a desperate dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg seems to have had no effect.

Any ideas how I can save this baby without a reinstall?

BTW: 4.4.1 works like a charm on a different (32-bit) machine. Quite a few bumps seem to have been flattened.
NightMICU

Post by NightMICU »

Greetings,

I recently installed Linux Mint with Gnome on my middle-age mother's laptop and she absolutely loves it - Windows and adware were driving her crazy. My fiance and I use Ubuntu 9.10 Gnome but I'm intrigued by Linux Mint with KDE.

Quick question - if I download the KDE Community Edition right now, how easy is it to upgrade to KDE 4.4? Would this be a System Update or would I need to find it in Package Manager? I'm a bit limited in my knowledge of Mint, all I know is it ran "out of the box" with zero configuration on an old Dell laptop!

Any details on upgrading to KDE 4.4 after I download the current distro would be greatly appreciated!

-Ben
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

i'm currently in the process of upgrading my mint kde x64 to 4.4.1 through synaptic, using kubuntu backport ppa (is there any other repo can/should be use?)
will post it here later on my upgrades (hopefully i done it right and facing no major issues), my connection is very very slow.. :(
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

i've upgradeing my kde x64 to 4.4.1 through synaptic.. all goes well until i can't use root-action-service-menu in dolphin.. the same annoying problems i had when upgrading to kde 4.4.0 before this (which forced me to reverting to kde 4.3.5) i've turn nepomuk on, reinstall root-action but with no success.. see screenshot for details (can open the terminal through that root-action-menu thingy) plz, any help is appreciated. i dont know if it is suitable to ask it here but if it isn't, will open new thread about it, just think all info of kde 4.4.1 should landed here though..
edit: an errors i get when run kdesudo dolphin from konsole;
dolphin(9497)/kio (bookmarks) KBookmarkManager::KBookmarkManager: starting KDirWatch for "/root/.local/share//user-places.xbel"
dolphin(9497)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate::openDatabase: Trying to open ksycoca from "/var/tmp/kdecache-root/ksycoca4"
dolphin(9497)/kio (KDirListerCache) KDirListerCache::listDir: Listing directory: KUrl("trash:/")
Object::connect: No such slot DolphinSearchBox::slotClearButtonClicked()
Object::connect: No such signal DolphinController::requestUrlChange(const KUrl&)
dolphin(9497)/kio (KDirListerCache) KDirListerCache::listDir: Reloading directory: KUrl("file:///root")
dolphin(9497)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*) KSystemTimeZonesPrivate::instance: instance(): ... initialised
dolphin(9497)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*) KSystemTimeZonesPrivate::readConfig: readConfig(): local zone= "Asia/Kuching"
dolphin(9497)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*) KSystemTimeZonesPrivate::readZoneTab: readZoneTab( "/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab" )
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
"/usr/bin/dolphin(9497)" Error in thread 140511583533040 : "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
dolphin(9497)/nepomuk (library) <unnamed>::GlobalModelContainer::init: Connecting to local socket "/root/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk/socket"
"/usr/bin/dolphin(9497)" Error in thread 140511583533040 : "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
dolphin(9497)/nepomuk (library) <unnamed>::GlobalModelContainer::init: Failed to connect to Nepomuk server via local socket "/root/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk/socket"
"/usr/bin/dolphin(9497)" Error in thread 140511583533040 : "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
dolphin(9497)/nepomuk (library) <unnamed>::GlobalModelContainer::init: Connecting to local socket "/root/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk/socket"
"/usr/bin/dolphin(9497)" Error in thread 140511583533040 : "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
dolphin(9497)/nepomuk (library) <unnamed>::GlobalModelContainer::init: Failed to connect to Nepomuk server via local socket "/root/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk/socket"
i also can't change anything at policykit authorization at system setting.. (system setting->advance->policykit authorization)
snapshot13.png

Return to “Software & Applications”