KDE GPT Partition Manager ? Solved. No GPT in KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pgmer6809
Level 4
Level 4

KDE GPT Partition Manager ? Solved. No GPT in KDE

Post by pgmer6809 »

How does KDE manage GPT disks?
From what I can see the partition manager does not have a GPT option.
pgmer6809
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
skywolfblue
Level 3
Level 3

Re: KDE GPT Partition Manager ?

Post by skywolfblue »

The KDE partition manager sadly does not yet support GPT discs. I do think that is rather bonkers.

I use GParted instead.

The easy way to install that is to open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gparted
You can also do that while running under the install disc too as long as you're connected to the Internet.
pgmer6809
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pgmer6809 »

Really?!!! Thanks for the answer. I just could not believe it. I think it is bonkers also. GPT disks are SOOOO much more convenient, and work fine with most modern BIOS's. Obviously you do not need secure boot to use a GPT disk (regardless of what M$ want you to think.)
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

pgmer6809 wrote:Really?!!! Thanks for the answer. I just could not believe it. I think it is bonkers also. GPT disks are SOOOO much more convenient, and work fine with most modern BIOS's. Obviously you do not need secure boot to use a GPT disk (regardless of what M$ want you to think.)
MS OSes can not boot GPT disks using legacy BIOSes, only under UEFI. The casual user can really get screwed over if they don't know what they are doing.

Return to “Software & Applications”