Dolphin stops responding while copying over network

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joshlukas

Dolphin stops responding while copying over network

Post by joshlukas »

Hello guys,

I have a small problem with my dolphin. While copying files over my LAN dolphin stops responding to inputs (selecting new tab, going back to previous folder, etc.) for some time. It occures only while copying over the network. It is somehow annoying, cause there is no possibility to continue working with dolphin until the file transfer is completed.

I'm using linux mint 16 KDE edition and my network shares are mounted as NFS. Here is an overview of my little network:

1x PC client - connected wired to a netgear wnr-3500l (wnr 2) router which is set to wifi-bridging (access point + WDS) mode and connected to my primary netgear wnr-3500l router (wnr 1).
1x wnr3500l (wnr 1) - acting as a router and accessin the web throu a cable modem
1x wnr3500l (wnr 2) - acting as an access point + WDS
Both router are flashed with tomato shibby's VPN mini firmware in it's latest version
1x synology dsm-411slim with latest firmware (all shares are NFS) connected through LAN cable to the primary router
1x cubox-i htpc box connected through LAN cable to the primary router
Except the two routers which do the bridging over wifi, everything else is connected via 1 Gbit

If there is someone here who has a solution or an idea how to solve my little problem, I'd be verry happy.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DeMus

Re: Dolphin stops responding while copying over network

Post by DeMus »

When the file copying is over, is Dolphin responding again or still not, or maybe slow?
This could be caused not by the OS or the CPU but the disk which is extremely busy. I have the same when I extract a long list of files. I can just get a cup of coffee because the computer isn't doing anything else at the moment. I watched the CPU monitor and I see the CPU does it work with 2 fingers up its nose. When I use IOTOP I see that the data to and from disk is high.
Also when using TOP in a terminal you see an item called wa in the 3rd line on top. Behind it is the value belonging to wa (wait). What is the value when you copy your files? When it is high it means the CPU has to wait before it can do something else again.
Hope this helps you in any way.
joshlukas

Post by joshlukas »

Hi DeMus.

Thank you for your response. I did monitor the filetransfer with top and iotop. Screenshots are attached. After filetransfer dolphin behaves normal. It occures only while transfering files over LAN.

joshlukas

Post by joshlukas »

No one have the same problem? :( It appers to be a kde specific problem as on every debian/ubuntu based distribution the result remains the same.

Return to “Software & Applications”