Proxy Server

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DeMus

Proxy Server

Post by DeMus »

Hai,

I am using Mint 16 KDE and although I think this thread is placed better in the Networking section I do place it here since somehow I can not start a new thread in the Networking section. There is no button "New Topic" on the page I get when choosing the Networking section.

Thing is I want to be invisible on the internet with everything I do: surfing, e-mailing, chatting, everything. With all the eavesdropping you hear about I want to make myself invisible.

Situation here is like this:
I have 3 computers, 2 connected through a switch and 1 directly to a modem-router. How to do that? I looked in the router and see nothing about a proxy. When I install a proxy on one of my computers, the others are not yet hidden. Even my external IP-address is still the same, right? So I am not invisible.

Who can tell me (in detail please) what and how to do this?

Thanks.
trapperjohn

Re: Proxy Server

Post by trapperjohn »

Hi,

It looks like you want to proxy the whole LAN without configuring each computer to use a proxy.

To create/use a proxy for all of your LAN computers you can place a computer with two bridged NICs between two routers The first router is the incoming router from the ISP. You connect it to one of the two NICs on the man-in-the-middle (MITM) computer. The WAN port on the second router connects to the second NIC. All of your LAN computers connect to the second router. Next you configure your MITM computer to make its connections to the proxy and then route incoming trafic on the second NIC through the first.

I know, that's not a simple formula. The struggle will be in configuring the bridge. An added benefit is the ability to monitor all traffic leaving your LAN (inculding destination IPs).

This solution is a bit hardware intensive in that you need to add a second router. Alternatively, you could create a wireless access point through a given computer with a second NIC but this approach will create a slower connection speed for you network.

I assume that you are aware that there are many other ways to leak your identity beyond revealing your external IP.
DeMus

Re: Proxy Server

Post by DeMus »

I have thought about that idea as well, but the idea of having a computer switched on 24/7 is something I don't really like. And it has to be on 24/7 if it is the main gateway. Just imagine how much energy that will use.
So, I guess there is nothing else than just go on the old fashioned way.

Thanks for your answer, really appreciate it.

Return to “Software & Applications”