No sound on Linux Mint unless I plug in earphones

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Uncreative_guy

No sound on Linux Mint unless I plug in earphones

Post by Uncreative_guy »

Quick disclaimer: English is not my first language.

So, I was thinking of installing Linux Mint KDE on my laptop, downloaded the iso and prepared the USB Drive for it.

Before installing, however, I decided to play around a bit to see if everything was working. I soon learned there was no sound. Not from the built-in speakers, anyway. If I plugged an earphone in the jack, it would output sound through the earphones just fine.

I tried googling around, but found nothing that helped. I was told to open up Pulse Audio Volume control and to tinker with the settings, but that didn't help. Alsamixer didn't help either.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 14r 5473. I think I should paste the output of dmesg here:
http://pastebin.com/7VkuCjfm

It -seems- to be detecting all the hardware just fine, but I still get no sound.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DeMus

Re: No sound on Linux Mint unless I plug in earphones

Post by DeMus »

Did you look in System settings --> Multimedia --> Audio and Video Settings --> Audio Hardware Setup?
Do you see the selection is set to earphone and can you select your built-in speakers here?
When it is possible to select the speakers here do it, then click apply and go to the tab: Device Preference.
In here you select Audio Playback on top of the list in the middle column.
Select your speakers and move them with the up arrow-button upwards. Again press Apply. Do this for all the audio selections: Notifications, music, video, etc. Don't forget to click Apply each time.
For some odd reason you need to reboot after this to make sure it works.
It should work now, it does for me.

Return to “Software & Applications”