Shutdown/Reboot Drops Me at Cmd Line Login Prompt

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
prototerm

Shutdown/Reboot Drops Me at Cmd Line Login Prompt

Post by prototerm »

I've googled for anyone reporting a similar problem to mine, but found nothing so far. That usually means I did something really stupid. Seems I know just enough about Linux to be dangerous. In any case, I recently upgraded from Mint KDE 13, and since my Home is on its own partition, I've kept all my settings and data. No idea if that's part of the problem or not. Anyway, whenever I try to reboot or shutdown from the KDE GUI, it drops me to the plain vanilla command line login prompt. Now if I go ahead and login then type in the command to shutdown or reboot, it works normally. But I shouldn't have to go through all that. What can I do to get the old behavior back? Everything else seems to be working like a champ.

I'm running nVidia driver 304.116 on a GT-630, if that matters. I've seen some threads about NVidia problems in Mint 16, but none of those symptoms seem relevent to what I'm experiencing. I suspect something about MDM may be the culpret, as that's a new part of my startup process, but don't know enough about it to know where to start looking.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Shutdown/Reboot Drops Me at Cmd Line Login Prompt

Post by austin.texas »

Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
prototerm

Re: Shutdown/Reboot Drops Me at Cmd Line Login Prompt

Post by prototerm »

I looked at the Ubuntu bug report you mentioned, but, while it looks on the surface to be similar, the details are not. For instance, I've never been left at a black screen with the computer still running. Always I'm left at the command line login prompt. Also, according to the thread, it appears that the culpret there might be Unity, and not something in KDE. Still, maybe the two issues are related somehow.

Return to “Software & Applications”