How can I reduce the number of tiles?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mao55

How can I reduce the number of tiles?

Post by mao55 »

How can I reduce the number of tiles to two (left and right), i.e. I would like to get rid of left bottom/top etc. ? It is possible to set short cuts via KWin for a left and a right tile but that's not a real solution because I would lose the comfort of dragging windows to the left or the right rim of the monitor to snap in.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thunder422

Re: How can I reduce the number of tiles?

Post by thunder422 »

Let me first preface this to say that I am using KDE 4.12.2 on Mint 13, so your available options may differ (I also had a computer with KDE 4.8.5 on Mint 13 that I checked).

For the tiling, go to System Settings, Workspace Behavior, Screen Edges. Under Window Management, there is a setting "Quarter tiling triggered in the outer |X%| of the screen. The X value starts at 25% and can't be zero, but can go as low as 1%, so dragging a window only the very top of bottom will quarter tile, otherwise it will half tile. Note that KDE 4.8.5 does not have this option; I don't know in which version they added this option. (Thanks, for making me look into this as the quarter tile thing is silly, but I do like half tiling like Windows 7 has - but at least at 1%, quarter tiling is still available if needed.)

As for shortcuts for these, go to to System Settings, Shortcuts and Gestures, Global Keyboard Shortcuts. Select the KDE component of KWin. The options you are looking for are Quick Tile Window to the Left/Right. They are by default not assigned. Click on them, select Custom, then enter the key you want to assign (it will tell you if the key is already assigned to another shortcut giving you the option to reassign it). There doesn't appear to be a shortcut to return the window back to its original position and size like on Windows 7 (though dragging the window with the mouse does return it to its original size).
mao55

Post by mao55 »

Actually, there're only two option

( )Maximize windows by dragging them to the top ...
( )Tile windows by dragging them to the side of the screen
thunder422

Post by thunder422 »

Then you have an older version of KDE before that the third option was added.

Return to “Software & Applications”