LM 16 KDE 32bit in VirtualBox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mlippert

LM 16 KDE 32bit in VirtualBox

Post by mlippert »

I just thought this might help someone else.

When creating the VirtualBox machine for Linux Mint 16 you can either have
Type: Linux, Version: Ubuntu
OR
Type: Linux, Version: Linux 2.6/3.x

I couldn't find any documentation on what selecting Version: Ubuntu did for you, so I just selected Version: Linux 2.6/3.x

Then I tried loading the Linux Mint 16 KDE 32bit iso. And it hung. When I finally tried compatibility mode, I got an error about PAE. I hadn't realized this, but that is a setting for the VirtualBox VM under System|Processor tab there is a checkbox Enable PAE/NX.

It turns out that if you select Version: Ubuntu, this checkbox is checked for you, if you select Linux 2.6/3.x you need to check it yourself in order for the 32bit version of Linux Mint to run.

I do remember seeing something about PAE in the release notes, I just didn't really know what it meant, or how it might affect me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AE2100A
Level 2
Level 2

Re: LM 16 KDE 32bit in VirtualBox

Post by AE2100A »

Thanks milppert for taking time to post to the forum. I found it and needed it. My Linux Mint 16 KDE 32bit iso was hanging also. Enabling PAE/NX allowed it not to hang.

Return to “Software & Applications”