time error

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
XANA038

time error

Post by XANA038 »

I have been using Linux mint 16 KDE for about 2 months now and just 2 days ago, when ever i connect to the internet via wireless the time gets reset to about 5+ hours to what it is suppose to be and it seems like when ever i go to correct it it never gets applied. on top of that i can't get it to update with internet time either it wont connect to any US servers. any ideas anyone? Plus windows is starting to do it to like the 2 are connected
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: time error

Post by xenopeek »

Could it be Linux Mint 15 KDE perhaps? Linux Mint 16 KDE isn't released yet...
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Try this to choose your time zone:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
XANA038

Post by XANA038 »

xenopeek wrote:Could it be Linux Mint 15 KDE perhaps? Linux Mint 16 KDE isn't released yet...
ya forgot how to look up my version of OS srry lol, and that command didn't work, it rest it but now its 6 hours ahead in UTC when it should be CST
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Do you also have Windows on this computer?
XANA038

Post by XANA038 »

xenopeek wrote:Do you also have Windows on this computer?
yes i do, even that seems to spring 6 hrs ahead
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I assumed as much :) Windows assumes your BIOS clock will have local time, while Linux assumes your BIOS clock will have the preferred [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time]UTC[/url] time. This causes your clock to jump if you boot the one operating system after the other. A solution is in this comment of mine: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=130388#p705757. As Windows is a less solid system, probably best to disable UTC on Linux instead of enabling UTC on Windows.
XANA038

Post by XANA038 »

xenopeek wrote:I assumed as much :) Windows assumes your BIOS clock will have local time, while Linux assumes your BIOS clock will have the preferred UTC time. This causes your clock to jump if you boot the one operating system after the other. A solution is in this comment of mine: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 88#p705757. As Windows is a less solid system, probably best to disable UTC on Linux instead of enabling UTC on Windows.
the bios is the correct time as normal, its the operating system, it in now affecting windows too, the bios is still on time. this is crazy lol

Return to “Software & Applications”