software manager crashing & other issues

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
awolf

software manager crashing & other issues

Post by awolf »

So, I've tried a bunch of distros and settled on Mint KDE as what I like best. I first had 64-bit installed, but then I tried some extra stuff, screwing around with things... had problems, decided to start fresh. I installed 32-bit (not sure why, I think I read that eventually doing audio with Windoes VST plugins under WINE would work better, and I only have 4GB of RAM).

Mostly good so far, but two problems:

1. When I start the Software Manager, it looks fine but after a few moments the window just disappears, no crash notice, no nothing...

2. I installed Redshift (which should be installed by default in my opinion). It works great, and I installed the KDE Widget, but in the Live USB I used for installing, it had the icon correct. Now the icon functions for clicking, but it is a paper thing with a ? on it instead of the correct icon.

What do I do?? I don't want to keep working on this system if it would be better to reinstall clean. The more I invest in setting this up, the more I lose if I decide to reinstall...

Thanks for the help!

P.S. I updated to KDE 4.8, but the problems were the same before and after
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vanDoom

Re: software manager crashing & other issues

Post by vanDoom »

Hmm there might be an issue building with the software manager? http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=95712

As for the icon, install kmenuedit and then navigate to the program and select its new icon.
awolf

Post by awolf »

Thanks, that other topic is exactly the same problem, I'll try the solutions there, but it didn't help that poster...

As for the icon, is it the same fix for widgets as for regular programs? what does "navigate" mean in the case of widgets? where are they? (and what about the fact that the widget has multiple views based on its status?
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

awolf wrote:Thanks, that other topic is exactly the same problem, I'll try the solutions there, but it didn't help that poster...

As for the icon, is it the same fix for widgets as for regular programs? what does "navigate" mean in the case of widgets? where are they? (and what about the fact that the widget has multiple views based on its status?
Most people are installing Muon instead of Software Center. I think the package you want is called: muon-installer

I haven't heard of a fix for the problem, and the System Updates didn't solve anything either.
awolf

Post by awolf »

strangely enough, I had this same problem... but then after installing and setting a bunch of stuff for audio with KXStudio and other advice from Penguinproducer.com, I went back to try the software manager and it worked for the first time on this install!

But good to know about muon otherwise!
awolf

Post by awolf »

Now, even stranger, the Software Manager works but the Updater program won't open...
vanDoom

Post by vanDoom »

Do you mean Update Manager? Try to open it after running 'sudo apt-get upgrade'.

Also, did you do anything to resolve the software manager crash?
awolf

Post by awolf »

vanDoom wrote:Do you mean Update Manager? Try to open it after running 'sudo apt-get upgrade'.

Also, did you do anything to resolve the software manager crash?
I wish I knew how I fixed the software manager crash... it was after installing a bunch of stuff from KXStudio...

Anyway, I figured out that I screwed up some permissions, and I think I need to reinstall... ugh.
Fullerine

Post by Fullerine »

awolf wrote:
I wish I knew how I fixed the software manager crash...
You and me both, you'd be hailed as some sort of God, paraded on a sea of noobs all crying with joy as they've got their shiny free app-store back :)
(this isn't me being condescending, I would be carrying you too.)

There does seem to be an issue with the Software Manager and although installing muon is an acceptable workaround it's, and there's no cool way of saying this, it's just not shiny enough. There I said it, I'm a superficial noob and I'm proud. I'm too old and too busy, I wan't shiny things!

Joking aside, the software manager is important for first users of Mint (or all Linux distros) because the ocean of free, useful, quality applications which can be installed with minimum of hassle is one of the things which really impresses and excites new users to this world.

So, can someone fix it for us please :)
vanDoom

Post by vanDoom »

please review http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=95712 and merge all future posts here

Return to “Software & Applications”