KDE SC 4.5

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
homebaze

KDE SC 4.5

Post by homebaze »

Tomorrow should be the day KDE SC 4.5 comes out (http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/ ... KDE_SC_4.5) and I think many of us would like to know, when we will see it in the repos to upgrade our system. The KDE 4.5 should bring more stability and other new features. As 4.4.5 was directly available, will it be the same case in 4.5?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GhoS

Re: KDE SC 4.5

Post by GhoS »

If you have the backports ppa activated you should get it as soon as its made available through ubuntu. Although I believe with Mint 9 KDE you'll get it also without the backports.
hinny.b

Post by hinny.b »

It would appear that the release date has been put back by a week which is a shame. Here is a link from a blog that explains a little more including an email from the release team - hope that no rules are being broken and no toes are being trodden on :wink:
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2010/08/kde- ... layed.html
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

One week is not a very long wait and if it improves the quality it is worth it.
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

exploder wrote:One week is not a very long wait and if it improves the quality it is worth it.
I agree 100%!!!!
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Good Morning Campers,

Is there suppose to be any significant changes from 4.4.5 to 4.5.0....just wondering.....have a great and prosperous day everyone, I go to celebrate my 51st birthday today....funny, I don't feel any older...have a good one all...

Andrew :D
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

Looks like it was released on schedule.... or I'm still foggy from jet-lag! :mrgreen:

http://dot.kde.org/2010/08/10/kde-relea ... spaces-450
Rifester

Post by Rifester »

Have a happy birthday Andrew!
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Thank you...greatly appreciated...don't feel any older though
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Cannot update KDE dist with update manager, says cannot apply changes, fix broken packages first....so what's up with this....when I upgrade through terminal and then reboot, I get a black screen....any ideas? Thanks

Andrew
isadora

Post by isadora »

Got it installed on another distro. Works like a charm.
Mainly issued for reasons of stability and bug-fixes.
Think KDE made it to a real stable version with 4.5
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Does anyone have the same issues that I"m having, and how or when will there be a fix for it....I went through the same thing when LM9 was in testing...this is rediculous....any help would be greatly appreciated...

Andrew :?
kage

Post by kage »

Hi Andrew

No, you're not alone. Same probs here. It looks like it's a known problem. It's probably the best to sit down and wait for the solution.

If there's anything left from your birthday: enjoy it! And btw: congrats!

kage
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

I did the upgrade on a second machine to see more details about the libqt4-help:

During $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (no complete output because I have to type this):
[...]
Unpacking replacement libqt4-help ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libqt4-help_4%3a4.7.0~beta2-0ubuntu3~lucid1~ppa4_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/qt4/translations/qt_help_cs.qm'. which is also in package libqtcore4 4:4.6.3-0ubuntu1
[...]
Errors where encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libqt4-help_4%3a4.7.0~beta2-0ubuntu3~lucid1~ppa4_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

ok, now the upgrade is in a broken state, so run $ sudo apt-get -f dist-upgrade
[...]
Errors where encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libqt4-help_4%3a4.7.0~beta2-0ubuntu3~lucid1~ppa4_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

So, retry the $ sudo apt-get -f dist-upgrade
Now the upgrade will be able to finish.

credit goes to Alvin on this lanuchpad bug it also works on 32 bit kde on kubuntu https://bugs.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/+bug/615902
speedyx

Post by speedyx »

I run kde4.5 on mint.
It works great!
I should execute 3-4 times dist-upgrade and almost one time -f install to get a complete upgrade. But it lost kdeplasma, that I installed after a reboot with a complete black screen.
I connected with wvdial and install it. Now it is complete and works perfect.
Only one issue I think: there is a death window opened on the desktop without any reason.
If I close it, the plasma desktop is terminated, and I will be again at a black screen. I leave it there for now.
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Thanks Kage...I appreciate that
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

speedyx wrote:I run kde4.5 on mint.
It works great!
I should execute 3-4 times dist-upgrade and almost one time -f install to get a complete upgrade. But it lost kdeplasma, that I installed after a reboot with a complete black screen.
I connected with wvdial and install it. Now it is complete and works perfect.
Only one issue I think: there is a death window opened on the desktop without any reason.
If I close it, the plasma desktop is terminated, and I will be again at a black screen. I leave it there for now.
run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and press y let it run aand then runsudo apt-get -f dist-upgrade twice accepting anytime it asks you to
speedyx

Post by speedyx »

speedyx wrote:Only one issue I think: there is a death window opened on the desktop without any reason.
This is something that appear only when I start gnome-ppp
joe.attaboy

Post by joe.attaboy »

cpatrick08 wrote: run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and press y let it run aand then runsudo apt-get -f dist-upgrade twice accepting anytime it asks you to

This worked perfectly for me. Thanks for posting.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

joe.attaboy wrote:
cpatrick08 wrote: run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and press y let it run aand then runsudo apt-get -f dist-upgrade twice accepting anytime it asks you to

This worked perfectly for me. Thanks for posting.
no problem

Return to “Software & Applications”